BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know I am not a jack ass looking to take a BMW X5 in the woods to party:

I am 5 years new to BC. I move from back east, where I was an avid off road enthusiast, trucks, quads, bikes.
I have fell in love with BC... more so with the mountains. I have been many areas this far, all over Vedder, clear creek, hale, sunrise, and the whipsaw (in a stock XJ on all seasons :) )

Last year myself and 3 friends took three days and did the Harrison west to Pemberton, stopping at various spots to camp. I know, I know, its a cake walk, but the other vehicle was a Mitsubishi Outlander, and he was scared of pin stripping, and has a light foot, however we managed to get him down to Hale!

We had a lot of fun, and vowed to make it an annual event. Since the same route is no longer passable (slide), I was thinking of Harrison east to Boston Bar. The information I have found on this route is that it is easier then the west side?
This year I am running a lifted Xterra with MTR's, and he has a JK Rubicon. So we are both slightly more capable of rougher terrain the what an soccer mom Outlander then handle, with less chance of carnage. Although sometimes I have doubts about the old XJ vs. the Xterra ;)
Is there any other "Loop trips" that are passable in the end of May, that we can consider? I would love to take them on the Whipsaw, but there will still be 6' of snow there I am sure.
How about:
Windy Ridge- I do not know the elevation?
Bible Camp- can this be stretched to a 3 day trip?
Interior- I would love to wheel there.
If we were to do the Harrison east, aside from clear creek is there any other side trail that are worth checking out?

Note: I have the Backroads Map book, as well as the Garmin Topo maps. my problem isn't necessarily finding places, but accessibility due to spring conditions, current slides, and gated roads.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Is there any other "Loop trips" that are passable in the end of May, that we can consider? I would love to take them on the Whipsaw, but there will still be 6' of snow there I am sure.
How about:
Windy Ridge- I do not know the elevation?
Bible Camp- can this be stretched to a 3 day trip?
Interior- I would love to wheel there.
If we were to do the Harrison east, aside from clear creek is there any other side trail that are worth checking out?

I would say Windy Ridge is too early in the year. Its better later in the year due to conditions. I would only recommend going with someone who has gone before whenever you do go.

Bible Camp is an in-out trail. I do it and the ferries in a day, easily. There is other stuff to see over there. Make a reservation at Porpoise Bay park campsite, its mostly central to Sechelt, but quite the drive if you go up to Earl's cove.

A loop for you would be the Anderson Powerline-Mission Pass-Road 40-Hurley Rd

Or E Harrison to Nahatlatch, then up the W Pavilion Rd to Lillooet. From there you can also link up with Road 40 and head West.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
i would be that the whipsaw at the end of may will probably be passable this year from what i'm hearing. there is not much snow anywhere this year.
Have you talked to Jordy recently? Just the other day he posted that they expect to be sledding up there for quite some time!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I don't know if Windy Ridge would be do-able by the end of May. In any case, I wouldn't do it unless you had a GPS track or a guide...but then again, I get lost easily. ;-) Also, you'd want at least one winch due to some of the mud holes that might be present. I've only been on that trail twice, and not in the past 10 yrs (almost) so my info might be out of date.

You could try go up the Fraser Canyon along the west side. It's got some great views and there are some side roads you could explore (like along the Nahatlatch) which might be more interesting due to snow. Or Harrison East to Boston Bar, and then continuing north along the west side of the canyon. For added bonus points, try to locate the farm with the gigantic Harley Davidson.

...lars

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.