BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As u might of already read my jeep got broken into last week. Some guy at work told me about a tuffy consol. He said u can put your cd deck right into it and it is very strong and reliable.

What u guys think?? And how much do one of these thing cost??

------------------
The girlfriend told me to get my priorities straight so i found a new love .... my jeep

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited February 11, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited February 11, 2002).]

·
Registered
382 Posts
about 300 at gemini.

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think there sweet. They just ripper the top right off my stock one when they broke in to my jeep. The deck sits face up between the seats. They also make a cool one that mounts above your head between the seats from the rollbar to the windshield. Mudder2.

------------------
What's that stuff dripping right there? Just... don't even look at it.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I suggest purchasing a pair of pants with pockets so you can bring your faceplate with you. A jacket will also do the trick.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Baby Joe:
I suggest purchasing a pair of pants with pockets so you can bring your faceplate with you. A jacket will also do the trick.

The funny thing is thou people will steal anything.

I had my face plate in my house and the thief stole my deck anyways

------------------
The girlfriend told me to get my priorities straight so i found a new love .... my jeep

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
As u might of already read my jeep got broken into last week. Some guy at work told me about a tuffy consol. He said u can put your cd deck right into it and it is very strong and reliable.

What u guys think?? And how much do one of these thing cost??
I've also got a Tuffy console. Very nicely built and lots of room inside, too.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try some army surplus stores. You will find steel ammunition boxes (some are water-tight) that are the perfect fit in place of your stock console....
All you need to do is drill a few holes and add a heavy duty lock...

I use one as a trunk, it sits behind my roll bar; about 3' long, 10" high and 8" wide...

[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
1982 CJ7
4" Skyjacker lift, 2" Shackles, 33" Mudkings

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
My memory might be failing me but I don't recall seeing a large ammo box that didn't use wire as part of its latch. Well, maybe "wire" isn't the correct term but that's what it looks like...thin solid round metal that hinges the latch to the lid. In my opinion, that's always been a weak point of ammo boxes because you could snip the wire and bypass any lock. I had a large ammo box that would've been perfect as a console but it would've required a fair bit of work, to mount it properly and make it lockable plus it would've looked pretty bad. But hey, it would've cost a lot less than a Tuffy. But in the end, I went with the Tuffy and I'm glad I did. The security, added strength, convenience, and better looks and ease-of-use were worth the cost. Your mileage may vary.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a Tuffy and am real pleased with it. Well worth the money.

the customer service is great.

I had a small piece of paint rub off and asked them if I could get some touch up paint. They offered to replace the whole console and it was 2 years old. They also let me change the color as I had changed my interior.

------------------
Cutch
[email protected]

Minnesota Trailriders

88 CYJ 7
79 Scout II Traveler
62 Willys Wagon

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got one at Gemini for 250 the largest one they have for a YJ, 2 years ago. It was the best investment I made for locking up my stereo and other important stuff. No breakin's yet(nock on wood)

------------------
89 yj major cash pit

·
Registered
154 Posts
ya i want to get a tuffy. i took the lock off of my stock console. whats the point? i might as well let them steal whatever they want. at least that way they only steal my stuff. they don't steal my stuff and break my console. i'll get one soon.

------------------
-James-
1988 YJ Laredo
[ ] | || || || [ ]

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts