BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a turbo for sale, from an 87 22re. I have a couple questions, first will this turbo fit on an 8522re? second will it really improve power and performance all that much. and third its for sale for $500 is that alot or is it a good deal?

------------------
"power is the ultimate aphrodisiac"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Turbo's also only really kick in at about 2500-3000 rpm. So its useless when tackling the slow stuff on the trails when your just feathering the gas. Supercharging is the way to go but thats a whole different story.

------------------
If it does'nt fit... wiggle it a bit

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a lot more to a turbo system then just a turbo, for 500$ i'm willing to be your not going to get much more than the turbo itself and maybe the exhaust manifold and downpipe. Find out what it comes with, that will help you decide wether its a good deal or not. Also the turbo may need a rebuilt so pay attention to that if your looking. As bigred said, turbo's spoool in the higher rpm range, higher than 2500 so goeing slow over rocks insnt the best setup for one. They run hot and will definatly give you a boost in power.

Compression doesnt matter so much, just means he cant boost as much or he needs to tune a little better.

·
Registered
504 Posts
wont get much power increase without a charge air cooler or a intercooler, also youll need some form of wastegate

------------------
'81 yota, bobbed flt dck,22re,marlin,5.29,coils,locked and more

[This message has been edited by edilonzo (edited March 14, 2002).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Your engine will not last as long either

------------------
475,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you gonna strap a turbo on a 22re you might want to consider tearing apart your engine and doing a fresh rebuild, then intercool the turbo, get a bigger turbo so it spools up quicker youll have to check your AR numbers on the turbo, Cause if you really want some power out of a turbo your gonna have to run 10psi boost, or spend all this money on a done up 22r, 22re, with no turbo.
In short , bla, bla, bla , i wouldint spend the 500$ on a turbo, id buy me a header, cam, some forged pistons and build a NA motor.
ps check out this web site.. http://www.turbofast.com.au/
cheers

------------------
84 xcab shortened 16inches,EFI coversion, Header,2 1/2 exhast, high lift cam, 3
" lift, welded rear,
rear track bar, 3in body lift, 33" comming soon, 24$ paint, flatbed, ready to be beaten, broke and shot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
***LONG POST - SORRY***

Yes, a rebuild is good idea especially if your compression isnt up to par in every cylinder.

Intercooler is not needed all it does it just that, cool. And as we all know colder air is denser air, so it yields more potential, however it is not required, a lot of turbo volvos and saab's dont have intercoolers... except the ones that say intercooler on the back, and even then they're a joke.

Bigger turbo spools SLOWER, smaller turbo spools faster, hence the t3/t4 hybrid turbo, t3 exhaust compressor is smaller than a t4 so it spools faster, t4 intake compressor is larger than a t3 one so it flows better at top end. Also, it has to do with your compression. Higher compression motor will spool a larger turbo faster than a lower compression motor.

AR Sizes on really need to be messed with if you are getting really serious about this sh*t and I dont think smiles is into the whole boost scene that much.

Boost pressure is acts different on every motor, sure you're going to get a lot more power out of your motor at 10psi, but your going to need to do a lot to get your motor up to handling that much boost daily. max i'd go with is 8lb's which seems to be the standard on non turbo built bottom ends. Plus the intercooler has an effect on how much boost it takes to make x amount of power. 1 bar (14.7psi) will more or less double whatever power your motor is making without boost. If you have a 160hp motor and boosting at 14psi you're most likely pushing in the 350hp range.

Turbos' will give you way more power from your 22re than a n/a buildup would, the only problem is the CONSTANT tuning that needs to be done and the fact that you will have to run 93+ octane gas at all times.

Here's a more picky list of everything one would need to buildup a say 6psi daily driver turbo.

*Turbo
*Turbo Manifold
*Collector/Downpipe
*Wastegate(if turbo doesnt have internal one)
*Blow Off Valve
*Boost guage
*Piping from turbo to intake
*Intercooler(Optional)
*Oil drain and feed lines
*Fuel Pressure Regulator
*Missing Link(Product to bleed boost from your vacuum line before it gets to your MAP)

If you want to run in the 10's ie. 14psi You will need on top of what has already been listed:

*440CC fuel injectors
*FMU(Fuel Management Unit - Similar to but would replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
*255gph Highflow fuel pump
*Forged Rods
*Forged Pistons
*balanced crank, rods, pistons
*H.O. Oil Pump
*Standalone computer.

Basicly the above 10psi junk is to make your bottom end bulletproof and get fuel flow rates up as high as hell (Detonation is BAAAAD - Picture Missing pistons, relocated Valves, I've even seen cylinder walls that have cracked in half, half coming out and half remaining with the block..

As you can see this whole turbo getup is pretty detail oriented. If you just want some extra power, run a low boost level get those things i mentioned so you dont over boost or have boost creep. It can be scary to get into but it's not really as bad as it sounds, if you do end up going turbo your going to fall in love with the bwaaaaaazipswishhhhhhhhhhhh, pshhhhhhh sound, trust me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts