BC 4x4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice job on your swap yodaman! Welcome to the club. 4runnin....DO the supra swap man! The 3.4 will cost you WAY more and will not even come close to the performance. I did the 7mgte swap in my 93 xtra cab over a year ago an love it. All my buudies driving v8's and what not can't believe my truck when its in 4 low and in the sand. I swear its like a banshee. Once the turbo spools up IT's like a damn rocket. I do mostly rockcrawling but I could not believe the power it had in the sand. The sweet thing about the supra swap is that it red lines @ 6500 rpm, 1000 more than a chev. And it has a wide powerband. It does lack lowend torque but that is what gears are for.:) Besides you don't have to worry about breaking stuff like you would with a V8. If there is such thing as the perfect swap, I am convinced the 7mgte is it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe I was the first to do the swap with an auto tranny and IFS. I have since converted my 93 to a solid axle. I'll post some pics if I can find some. Now I am doing the swap again in my 83 I just got . I think I am going to baja it. In the 83 I am going to be using the r154 turbo supra 5spd tranny( good to 500+ Hp). Ott makes a divorced transfercase adpter that I am going to use so I can use a toy t-case and have 4WD.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ya i wanted to use the r154 tranny but wastn' sure how i could keep the 4 wheel drive that divorce kit looks good i wanna build a race motor but am unsure of how much power the w56 can take. The truck does sound crazy when the turbo spools up in low range

Xrunner
What gears tires are u running? and rearend size?? type of locker??
thanks
neil

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The Supra tranny can hold up to the power well on the street. Trucks tend to be heavier and harder on it though. I think it would come down to real world testing.

Add a cooler and make sure it's held in nice and tight. Keep an eye out on the temps so you don't melt it. If that doesn't work, just find out what all the Supra racers are running. If a Supra can run 1000HP on the street, 500HP off-road should be no problem with it. The t-case in low will also help to take away some of the stress on the tranny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The w56 will not last long running over 250 hp with big tires, I don't think. I am running 35" mtr's with stock 4.88 gears and 8" toy axle. The 93 xcab v6 came with 4.88's:) Locker in the rear is a lockrite which has held up good so far. I'll be puting an ARB in the front soon. The r154 is the best bet for a tranny but not a good choice if you want to do a dual t-case setup cause it will make everything way too long. So I am going to just run a single t-case with reduction gears I think. Or I might just extend my wheel base to 116-118 " or so and try and make the dual case setup work. The sweet thing about my last swap is my transfer case only hangs down about 2-3" past the frame. I made a custom crossmember that is higher than the t-case, and raises the tranny & t-case somewhere between 3-6". I'll take some pics and post them. Nate

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Xrunner, I just noticed you seemed to have your exhaust down your drivers side... did you do a crossover underneath the truck or ??? How did you do this? The exhaust manifolds on the Pass side. Do you have any pics of this.. We ran the 3" Cat and Two Chamber Flowmaster along the passenger side (VERY close to everything) and put new fuel lines down the drivers side.

Also, what did you do for your power steering cooler/line because of the pump being on a different side then the 22re. A 60" straight piece of tube was run under the rad for the cooler on my brothers truck, and we just used two old lines for the flexible sections.

Russ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I used two mandrel bends that cross under where the tranny attaches to the motor . There is a gap where the exhaust fits perfectly. There was too much stuff in the way on the passenger side and Ii was easier to go on the other side. I don't have any pics but I'll take some. I didn't do anything for power steering cooler lines. My truck was a V6 and the lines were on the same side. I did have to bend them a little but thats it. I had to make my own motor mounts cause the V6 ones are way different.
Also I have no body lift on my truck only suspension lift. MAke sure you guys get an intercooler on there as soon as possible cause when it gets hot you'll start pinging. The ford powerstroke intercooler works awesome and you can get them for about $100-200 used. They are a little on the BIG side but are really efficient. I'm going to get one and cut it down in size and re-weld the end cap on. Then get an electronic or manual boost controler and get your boost up to 10-12 psi. You'll be over 300 Hp. It's good to see more people doing this swap instead dumping money into trying to get power out of the 22r or 3.0.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
yota man , u s.o.a.b. glad t see you finally got your project done (or is it?>) come to think of it there never really done are they. so it that my gas tank you used for the dual tanks???

i was thinking of doing that but never got arond to doin much about it. how did you wire it up? are they selectable left to right???

cudos my man, now go find some little person in his "really fast" rice rocket and put it into 4hi.......

·
Registered
229 Posts
The only reason that I haven't seriously considered a supra swap is water. I play in mud and water a lot and would be worried about nuking the turbo with a blast of ice cold water during a creek crossing. Is this actually much of an issue? Also, on the trail, my engine rarely spins the rpms it takes to spool up that power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor A$$ Stock '93 said:
The only reason that I haven't seriously considered a supra swap is water. I play in mud and water a lot and would be worried about nuking the turbo with a blast of ice cold water during a creek crossing. Is this actually much of an issue? Also, on the trail, my engine rarely spins the rpms it takes to spool up that power.
Which means your turbo will never get hot. Without spooling the turbo, you turbo shouldn't get any hotter than the eghaust manifold. So, unless you are worried about the manifold cracking, I wouldn't worry about the turbo.

The only time you should worry about the turbo, is if you are hauling butt up a steep hill for a long time, then decided to take a dip in an ice cold lake. Just make sure if you were hard on it, prior to river crossing, to let it cool down for a few minutes.

How many diesel turbo's are there out there that do deep water crossing. Lots, especially down in OZ. They don't ever worry about it.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.