BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought another sami that has a twincam out of a ..suzuki swift (i think) in it, i am planning on swapping it into my sami in a few weeks, Anyone running one of these? Any comments on the engine?
Rhys

------------------
1991 Samurai
SPOA, Rocklobster, Warn 8274 winch

·
Registered
361 Posts
Rhys, I heard thru the grapevine that the 1.3 swift GTi engine (which I think you have) puts out about 100 horse, with most of the power being at the top end. Those little suckers like to rev. I am interested in doing a similar swap. How much did that motor cost you (if you dont mind saying?)

G

·
I've seen the swap and it looks ok except for the distibutor cap location.If it were me I would maybe try to get ahold of a 1.6 twin cam toyota out of a corolla gts.It appears to be a nicer package and the tranny is narrow so it should clear alright.

------------------
If it's too deep go faster

·
Registered
431 Posts
Regarding going to the toyota twin cam engine.

The engine you want is called the 4AGE it is a twin cam 1600. These are the same engines used in formula atlantic racing and can be tuned to produce over 300bhp in normally aspirated form. The engines have something called TVIS which keep the second intake valves closed below ~4250 RPM making the engine act like a 2 valve. Unfortunately, although this works a bit, it does not eliminate the fact that all these engines produce most of their power above 4000 RPM. Great little engines, but I don't know if they'd be suitable for a 4X4. If you're still interested I believe you need the 86 and earlier GTS setup as after that the were FWD. The early MR2's (my car) had these engines as well, but the mid-engine placement may make the tranny placement in a samurai difficult.

Hope that helps. If you do get the engine and want to tune it, go to mr2.com - IMHO the best car site on the web.

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have the engine so i am not looking for a new one, i am just swapping the twin cam from one of my samurai's to the other thats all.
Rhys

------------------
1991 Samurai

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm goin to start my swap on the twin cam on sunday (nicccccce)hope to finnish up on sunday . get the tires mounted on monday and insure the little beast on tuesday. Ive been waiting too long .Its gone through some major steps.

------------------
One word and u know its the best.....(SAMURAI)!

G

·
Yeah the 4AGE is a neat little power plant.Think about what would be gained in torque compared to my stock 1.0 in the sj.It has to be at least double all the way through the power band right up to the 112 hp limit at 6600rpm.It would be on propane with custom cams re timed for a little more bottom end as well.If an MR2 supercharger can be found it may be an option to look at.I still want to do this but I think I better stick with the big toy seeing as I have all the stuff already.

------------------
If it's too deep go faster

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want real power try what i'm doing, sticking a 2.3 turbo intercooled ford in my sammi. 190 horse stock and 200 with a 3" exost (i know my spelling sucks) and no cat. Course it's a little bigger and longer but nothing a zip cut blade won't cure. I was going to use a 2.1 volvo turbo untill the ford came up, before you laugh go to a wrecking yard and check them out. You can get a 85 turbo and a 80 four speed tranni for less than a thousand. You wouldn't belive how short the tranni is, you could easly stack 2 t-cases behind it. As a bonus you'd have the only volsuki around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by KEV:
hey blake don't you have a twin cam in your rig right now???? how about that rock lobster?goin to sell it?
Hey Rhys what are you going to do with the other sami?? Motor swap and sell or what??? I want another one to put a chevy engine in to ????????

------------------
85 sammi long box, 4 corner, 4 link coil suspension, Toy diffs, 35"swampers

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Ryan:
Hey Rhys what are you going to do with the other sami?? Motor swap and sell or what??? I want another one to put a chevy engine in to ????????

Yup i'm going to be selling it after i do the motor swap email me and maybe we can work something out.
[email protected]

rhys

------------------
1991 Samurai

·
Registered
261 Posts
O no dont get Ryan started on another project!!! its enough trouble tryin to get that longbox on the road.
but hey that would be pretty sweet
,go for it ryan!

------------------
One word and u know its the best.....(SAMURAI)!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm doing a V6 chev conversion i have my engine and tranny i just need to find a 205 tcase so i can install it all in one shot. if you need info i'll give all i can

------------------
85 Samurai 13" lift, Snorkel,Bucket seats, yoda axles, soon to be chev 4.3l V6 th350 and 205 tcase, on 33X12.50 super swampers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.