BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when we were down at walker this weekend we saw this very interesting 6x6 tow rig. check it out.

so any ideas how this guy set those gears up?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Where are the pics of the whole thing? I want to see what this truck/trailer contraption looks like.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Yeah Cornjeeper the first thing I did when I got back was grab a 9" third member and do some quick visual references. yup, it all makes sense.

The ring gear is obviously centered in the housing (forward/back) so yep, the ring gears sticks out of both sides an equal amount. Therefore if we modify the back of the housing to have a mating surface exactly the same distance off axle centerline as the front of the housing, and also make sure the pinion is the same distance vertically off center when we mount the second pumpkin upside down, it would work.

Now to find some gears that will mesh properly, the tough part, find two pinions that are exactly the same.

Of course as we know you'll have some oiling problems when you mount the second third member upside down. Theres probably enough oil being thrown around to not be a problem, but in that second driven axle with the third member upside down I'm not quite sure how to solve it.

Now I'm having fantasies about a Scrambler with two 9" rear axles. .

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
It wasn't built by USA6x6. The guy who built it is the fellow on the right in that pic. His name is Tom something and he is from Wash State.

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
If you can find a centre section from a M151 Mutt, they're set up with the long pinion/double yoke too.

As for two 9" pinions on one ring gear; if you start with new gears, and let 'em break in together, you should be in good shape, and it shouldn't be to hard to find a couple of pinions that would work.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Now the catch, the second pinion in first axle is in a third member thats mounted upside down. Which means the driveshaft to the second axle is going to turn the wrong way. So therefore he's mounted the third member in the second axle upside down too, to make it turn the axles the right direction.

Shouldnt it blow up the pinion bearings, since the oil passages are meant for the pinion to be at the bottom?

Of course theres no reason a person couldnt make some new oil passages I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all ...This is Daniel from USA6X6.com No we did not make that axle for Tom ....We would not and never will .. I have several pics of that rig and it has an inherent problem built right in it... when you put double reversing strain on a ring gear with two separate gear alignments eventually (20,000 mi max so far) you get nice little rabbit sized gear turds... IE alignment failure/ over heating/ and bearing oiling problems...

THe best way to do something is to do it right and this is what a 6X6 centerchunk needs to be... Pic below... We also have the nations first TRUE 9 inch(not 8.8) High Pinion axle just for the offroad 6X6 conversion...(not pictured)

http://www.usa6x6.com/axle03.html

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The difference is the Billy Joe Bob Version uses a second pinion gear on the first axle. Thats two pinions sharing the same ring gear. So now you have to somehow set two pinion depths and backlash on the same ring gear. You can set the first one on the bench to work perfect but when you're adding the second one you can't adjust the backlash again.
And man what a pain in the butt to check both patterns, You'd have pull the front pinion carrier out so you can see inside to check the pattern the rear pinion is making.

The usa 6x6 version uses a special pinion gear that puts a shaft out the back of the housing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.