BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that there were two different types of tranny's that were put into the Tj's. I was told that there are still the np2301, just one was built a little stronger than the other one. Has anyone heard the same thing or is this person that told me this information talking out of his ass???

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The tranny was changed in 2001 I think. Now its an NV4550.

the 4550 is suposed to be stronger, but doesn't shift as smooth.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Chris S said:
The tranny was changed in 2001 I think. Now its an NV4550.

the 4550 is suposed to be stronger, but doesn't shift as smooth.
The tranny change over was 2000. The NV3550 actually shifts smoother than the AX15, I owned a '97 with AX15. The NV3550 is a bit noisier though.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hang on just a second. I have an NV4550? I was under the impression that my TJ has an AX-15...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Baby Joe said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hang on just a second. I have an NV4550? I was under the impression that my TJ has an AX-15...
2000 and newer has NV3550.

EDIT: Unless it's a really early 2000 then there may be a possiblity that you got an AX15 tranny. In that case, it sucks to be you.:p FWIW, if you're tranny rattles in nuetral, you most likely have the NV3550.:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
<-- Begin Sarcasm -->

Baby Joe, my Peugot will kick your tranny's ass. Whichever one you have.

<-- End Sarcasm -->

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hmm... actually.... I do think my tranny rattles in neutral. I just thought it was a jeep thing...

Outkast if you could point me to some links with info on the NV3550 I'd be very grateful, thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here is the gearing info from my FSM.
1st- 4.01:1
2nd- 2.32.1
3rd- 1.40:1
4th- 1:1
5th 0.78:1
reverse- 3.55:1

NV3550 is a fully synchronized tranny. Notice that you don't have to pop it in 1st just so you can slide it smoothly in reverse?

Not sure about the strength but I've read somewhere that it is stronger than AX15.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
Rattling?

Hey Outkast,
The rattling you discribe, does it disappear when you push in the clutch? Mine sounds like very loud roll over almost a growling but not quite that loud. I've taken it to the dealer 3 times. They've disassembled it and found nothing. I'm getting really tired of it though...

I wish mine had a NV 4500 though, 'cause that would rule! :D

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
That's the rattle Shogun :) I got used to it, if it really bothers you, turn up the radio until you can't hear it :)

I also wish mine came with a 4500 ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
my pos 2000 tj had the same rattle.their is a tsb on that they replace a bushing in the shifter linkage.mine is way better now.if u have a problem i will find my reciept with the part number on it .

·
Registered
148 Posts
fullthrottle said:
my pos 2000 tj had the same rattle.their is a tsb on that they replace a bushing in the shifter linkage.mine is way better now.if u have a problem i will find my reciept with the part number on it .
I wish I new about the tsb before! I scratched my head a lot trying to find that rattle noise. A month back while I had my belly pan off I shook the tranny and found the 4x shifter linkage support shaft was rusty where it hangs off the body, (I guess where the bushing should have been!). Anyway, a little grease and no problems since.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
tsb?

Sorry,
I know I should know this accronym but me brain is fart'n. What's a TSB and did fullthrottle find the part no. It really irritates me!
thanks
Dave

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
re TSB

Thanks TJeeper!

So I might actually get the rattle fixed the next time I take the Heep in? Wow... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Omg, I'm so releived to hear what this darn rattling on my new TJ is...been waiting for my FSM to get here for 3 weeks from DC, so I couldn't check, and just hadn't made it to the dealer yet. *PHEW!*

Shouldn't the mechanics at DC know about this rattling issue before they completely dismantle the tranny on a new vehicle, though? Seems strange to me anyhow.

Thank you for all the info. The site rocks!

Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts