BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Dad out for a day of exploring, and we ended up driving up by Hedley Creek to try to locate this site (I think this is the site?)
http://minfile.gov.bc.ca/Summary.aspx?minfilno=092HSE036
We turned up off the creek and ran into a large tree blocking the road. As we had no chainsaw, we parked and hiked up the road a ways. We found what seems to be the foundations from an old processing operation and/or stamp mill, and tons of waste, junk old tin cans, etc.

We didn't hike any further up the hill to the minesite itself, but will return at a later date with a chainsaw, just in case the tree has not bee removed yet.

My Dad is originally from "the old country, (Italy) and was very surprised to see this sort of history here in our local area. He is used to seeing old ruins, castles, etc back in Italy but never really knew what existed out our back door. I'll certainly be taking him back for more "exploration".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Dad was enthraled with the pile of old core samples, he couldn't believe something this "worthwhile" was just left as waste. If he had the ability, he would have loaded the whole pile up and taken them home for "landscaping" purposes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a neat little site there. I have my sister and brother-in-law coming from Australia in July or August.. and I imagine he would love to see something like that. I could see myself making a trek up there during his visit. I need to do more exploring in that area anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you keep going past the mill the road winds up the hill a mile or so to the shaft entrance.
This shaft runs up into the mountain at about a 45 deg. angle.
It is a strait run to the top. A workout to climb but interesting to see the entrance shrink to a pin prick.
At the top the shaft just ends. No other drifts to explore.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Here's what it looks like where the road ends:

You can read about it here, as well as see pics from inside the shaft:
http://www.bc4x4.com/tr/2005/whipsaw/

I'd like to follow the trail that continues along the creek but not sure how much hiking that would involve. Anyone know if it would be a bad idea to leave vehicles parked there if we were to do an all day or overnight hike there? I know not many people get back there but I wonder if there are any local juvenile delinquents that frequent the area.

...lars

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Larry, I think it is less likely there than other places around Princeton. The thing is I don't think any trail is "safe" to leave a vehicle at overnight where it is in clear view. It's not just local juvies to be concerned about but also the idiots who like to wheel and destroy. The problem with that valley is there is no where to put your rigs out of sight.

Goldboy <on MUD> -aka Simon, who lives in Hedley and runs the B&B at the old mine office building, told me about some old roads (overgrown) at the top and the head of the creek. We were supposed to go and do some camping and exploring up there last year but I just couldn't find the free time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Very cool. I love that area. I used to travel through it on the Hope-Princeton tons in my younger years between Oliver and Vancouver before the Coq. was built. This is now on my "I wanna go!" list! Thanks for posting.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Larry, I think it is less likely there than other places around Princeton. The thing is I don't think any trail is "safe" to leave a vehicle at overnight where it is in clear view. It's not just local juvies to be concerned about but also the idiots who like to wheel and destroy. The problem with that valley is there is no where to put your rigs out of sight.

Goldboy <on MUD> -aka Simon, who lives in Hedley and runs the B&B at the old mine office building, told me about some old roads (overgrown) at the top and the head of the creek. We were supposed to go and do some camping and exploring up there last year but I just couldn't find the free time.
Is his B&B the one with "gold" in the name? A British guy? I think we talked to him quite a few years ago after he came out to see what we were doing (we were crawing around the old millworks and he wanted to make sure we weren't being naughty). He gave us quite a bit of good info about the area.

...lars

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Is his B&B the one with "gold" in the name? A British guy? I think we talked to him quite a few years ago after he came out to see what we were doing (we were crawing around the old millworks and he wanted to make sure we weren't being naught). He gave us quite a bit of good info about the area.

...lars
Yes, that's Simon. He's also a bit over 6'6" tall - amazing that he fits inside a BJ73.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd like to follow the trail that continues along the creek but not sure how much hiking that would involve. Anyone know if it would be a bad idea to leave vehicles parked there if we were to do an all day or overnight hike there? I know not many people get back there but I wonder if there are any local juvenile delinquents that frequent the area.

...lars
My Dad and I were curious about the hiking path as well. It seems someone has put some serious work into making a nice trail/path. Their is a lot of graffitti, vandalism, and remnants of partying up around there. I don
t think I would feel comfortable leaving my vehicle their overnight. I'd personally find a place in Hedley (maybe chat with a local) and park my vehicle in town.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Is his B&B the one with "gold" in the name? A British guy? I think we talked to him quite a few years ago after he came out to see what we were doing (we were crawing around the old millworks and he wanted to make sure we weren't being naughty). He gave us quite a bit of good info about the area.

...lars
Fantastic guy, I try to stop in and say hi everytime down there!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would'nt hesitate for a second leaving my truck up there overnight.Unless its a long weekend.The local Juvies are'nt the problem,They are too lazy to go up there and are bored of the area up there.its the partyers from the coast coming up that are the problem.Long weekends change things drastically.
that being said,in my experiance there is always another road to get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is great, on my way to Oliver today with the old man we stopped in Hedley (can never resist!) and decided to take the Touareg TDI up along the creek, not knowing about this thread I thought "oh that looks cool!" There was a great little camp site along the river which would make a good stopping point for an early start to some more exploration. But, the road quickly got a bit too rough and covered with sharp rocks which might do some damage to the city-slicker Pirelli Scorpions on the VW, so I'll have to return with the Jeep some time soon... Awesome that I found this thread literally hours after visitng though!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I was looking at that trail again today, while I was writing a review of Backroad GPS Map's "British Columbia" SD card maps. On Backroad Mapbooks' maps, they actually show where the hiking trail goes. It hooks up to a road that is accessible from the north side of Nickelplate Lake. Now I wanna go back up there and do more exploring to see what's along the north side of the trail. I'd rather park up top than at the bottom.

...lars

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.