BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can anyone give any good sugestions for some upgrades or weak areas on an 81 k5. Muchos gracias!

------------------
81 K5 with 31's,305,and who knows what else is under there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For starts, does it have automatic hubs? If it does, do your self a favour and go buy yourself a pair of Warn manual hubs. It takes getting out to lock em in, but once you do you know they won't disengage on you. Seen this happen on a friend's 81 K5. They are a great place to start for simple reliability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Green Monster:
For starts, does it have automatic hubs? If it does, do your self a favour and go buy yourself a pair of Warn manual hubs. It takes getting out to lock em in, but once you do you know they won't disengage on you. Seen this happen on a friend's 81 K5. They are a great place to start for simple reliability.
Yeah it does have warn locking hubs Its hard to get it in four low is it me or the shifter? Know anyone with a half decent tailgate for sale or any wreckers in the area?

------------------

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by white knight:
What kind of wheeling are you looking at doing?

Pretty easy stuff for now I still need the truck for work on Monday morning if you catch my drift. Might try up Johnson street (or road ,directions and tips if possible)this Sunday or Monday.

------------------

·
Registered
206 Posts
The way we worked it was basically going wheeling and upgraded as we broke stuff,
Why spend cash if you don't have to?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
nia.com
</A>

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would recommend a steering box brace from ORD. K5's are notorious for cracking the frame at the steering box. It will also make it steer much better on road.

Either buy some sway bar disconnects or just unbolt it for wheeling. The amount of extra flex you'll gain off road is amazing.

Keep your eyes open for 3/4 ton diffs...the ten bolts are good up to a point but I wouldn't count on one for long if you ever plan on much larger tires.

Also check out www.coloradok5.com for lots of good K5 specific advice and building tips. Lots of good tech articles and a huge message board. There are over 2800 members now, so getting an answer is only a matter of a few minutes most times.

Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I find that spending a little cash on preventative maintenance stuff is very worthwhile. It has been industry proven for years. If you know or feel as though it might break, replace it. I would hate to have something as simple as a u-joint or a belt break while away in the muck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Blue's Clueless:
Its hard to get it in four low is it me or the shifter
Does it have an automatic tranny? If "yes" here's what I've found helpful on two different vehicles:
  • Just when you want to go into Lo-range, slow down so you're just barely moving forward (mostly kinda rolling slightly).
  • pop the transmission into 'N'eutral
  • move the shifter. Move it with firm authourity - if you're kinda wishy-washy, you can get grinding.
If you miss, or it grinds badly, come to a complete stop, shut off the engine, do the shift, and restart.

Coming out of 4WD, I usually do the reverse of what's listed above - coast very slowly in a straight line, tranny in 'N', firmly shift the t-case.

HTH!

------------------
Hey it's only a message board - Lighten Up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts