BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering has anyone done this mod or is it even possible?....

i have these mirrors on my full steel doors

and i would like there mirrors mounted on my full doors..

allan

------------------
93 YJ, 4" Pro Comp Lift with 32's. Formally known as Stock Black YJ

·
Registered
397 Posts
I did this mod over the summer. I like the big mirrors a lot more - plenty of extra viewing area, and they look a lot better.

Strictly speaking, the proper way to do this is to put the later-model YJ door hinges onto your full doors, and then bolt the mirrors on. Instead, what I did was just drill the necessary holes into the original door hinges (while they were still on the door), tap them, and bolt the mirrors on. A trip to the local supermarket netted me a later-model YJ to measure the proper hole locations...

FYI, Gemini sells these mirrors (aftermarket, not Jeep) for $50 ea. I couldn't find any OEM ones anywhere.

Good luck,
Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chris,

was wondering how hard was it to remove the stock small mirrors?..and i presume they are held on by screws?...how did u fill the holes there?..i really can't stand these small mirrors..

does anyone know if there's a write up on this?..

allan

------------------

·
Silverback
100 Posts
FYI, Gemini sells these mirrors (aftermarket, not Jeep) for $50 ea
True enough, I just checked it out. I'll sell mine for $50 a pair. They are black and in great shape, and I think I have the screws somewhere. I removed them when I got the windshield mount CJ ones.

Email me.

------------------
-'95 YJ
-dying to build, need cash

[This message has been edited by Caboobies (edited November 14, 2001).]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeesh, where were you and Chris S when I needed mine!

Anyhoo, to remove the factory mirrors, you pull the plastic cover off from the mirror base, then remove a couple of sheetmetal screws. You could put the screws back in afterwards, if you want to plug the holes.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just did this last week. Got a whole extra 10 hp out of it too. lol
Anyway what I did was remove the old ones and get 6 #10 1" to 1 1/2" self tapping screws and send them in. I used one of the old holes as well. It had a hole from a #8 so thats why i say go with the #10.

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

[This message has been edited by N8 (edited November 15, 2001).]

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i picked up some used mirrors on the weekend...but the fellow that sold them to me didn't have the screws..so i went to gemini and asked "do u have the 3 screws that hold the mirror up?" they said no try going to jeep...so i went to jeep and asked for the 3 screws they had them but they where $2.80 each, i told him they don't look right they look a little too long..he says that's right they are for a TJ..then i told him need them for a YJ, then he came back and said there $1.00 a screw..i told him u must be crazy and walked out of there store....

man that's a insane price for a screw..thought i'd share that with u guys..guess my best bet is to try gary's then? what do u guys think?

allan

------------------

·
Registered
382 Posts
what do u guys think?

read my last post I put down the screws that you need they will be 2.00 for a box at home depot.

------------------

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nathan,

was wondering if u got my e-mail...i wanted to ask u some questions..

allan

------------------

·
Registered
382 Posts
nathan,

was wondering if u got my e-mail...i wanted to ask u some questions..

I have not received any e-mail that anyone has sent me today as I am at work. I will respond to all e-mail when I get home tonight at around 6:00.
Allan if you need to talk to me feel free to e-mail at work [email protected]

Cheers

Nathan

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts