BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually put the a/c on recycle when I'm driving on dusty FSR's. Is this bad for the a/c system? I have been told yes by some, and no by others. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
My opinion, whether it be on recycle or fresh, the system is still circulating dusty air. Generally I would have thought it be better to not use your A/C in dusty conditions. Why promote premature problems to your system, it can cost a few bucks to fix or repair an A/C system.

My 2 cents:*******

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When vent sytem is on recycle, it doesn't take any air from outside (base of window usualy), it 'recycles air in the cab. So its not like the air con. is suckin in dusty air unless its dusty inside. If windows are up and you've selected recycle, interior should stay fairly dust free. Mine does, and I always get the 'back door' cause buddies drive jeeps & FJ's, and I got the full topper:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've always used my A/C on dusty roads. Cab stayed clean, stereo was dust free. Unfortunately, all this four wheeling has caused the lines to leak and I am A/C less. Have to wheel with the windows open and my cab is now filthy! Worked fine for years without any problems (except for the leak).

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's fine to use the recycle mod. That's why it is there. If you didn't use the recycle mod. the evap coil would plug up on you over a period of time. A wet evap coil and dust don't mix that well, infact it turns into a muddy mess. Once the evap coil gets plugged the Btu exchange isn't that good any more and problems start. Trust me I know. I've cleaned my share of evap coils in my time.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts