BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy an toy electric locker in the near future. is it possible to use the 529s from my 4cly 3rd and put the locker into it? or will i have to sell my 529s and get some v6 ones? can you get the locker in a 4cly model? what years were the lockers availalbe?

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
156 Posts
The sets from v-6 and 4cyl are different and you can buy a locker for 4 cyl i paid $764 with taxes for a detriot locker. I don't think you'll like the idea of getting an electric locker.

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an electric locker. I haven't installed it yet. I have the 529's as well. Why would he not like the idea of the electric locker? Paid 500 even for the locker with 430 gears.

------------------
A nonsmokin' 81 powered
83 longbox.
Pole vault over it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you WILL like the idea of getting an electric locker. I paid $600 with 4.30's and all I had to do was spend 3-4 hours worth of installation time and I have a locker that won't kill my tires like the detroit. Plus, look at the price of the detroit!!

A switchable locker should be a better buy than a full time locker anytime. For the same costs, I don't see why anyone gets detroits for the rears of these trucks when e-locks work so well.

You could easily sell your 5.29's on this board and get new V6 gears, as an added bonus the whole thrid is stronger than the 4cyl one.

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....
http://members.shaw.ca/rpkennedy/

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah no kiddin, full time locker vs selectable spool? man am i a fool...
so can i put the v6 e-locker into a 4cly 3rd?

------------------

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
802 Posts
The Toyota electric "lockers" work at any speed if they are retro-fitted as is being discussed here. The only time they only engage in 4-low is if they were installed from the factory, and even that's modifiable.

Scott Muir, the first guy to ever install one in an '85 pickup, accidentally left his on and drove from Copper Creek to Friday Creek on the highway because he forgot it was engaged (he was demo-ing it to me at camp).

Neale: no you can't, but you can put the V6 locker and third into your 4-cyl or V6 axle housing once you've done the housing mods as detailed in the previously-mentioned websites.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya, just do a search for electric locker and you should come up with a bunch of help. The mods to the diff aren't overly hard, it took me like 4 hours because I chose to do it with the axle still on the truck. But it worked great.

And I too have left the locker on at highway speeds. No problems.

------------------
87 runner, 4500 lbs dry, auto tranny, 22RE, very slow on hills, flats and downhills....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by gumbom:
im looking to buy an toy electric locker in the near future. is it possible to use the 529s from my 4cly 3rd and put the locker into it? or will i have to sell my 529s and get some v6 ones? can you get the locker in a 4cly model? what years were the lockers availalbe?

You can use the 4 cyl gears in the V6 electric housing. This is exaclty what I did. I had a V6 Detriot Softlocker with 5.29 4 cyl gears in my 91 4Runner. I hated the detroit so I got my self a Toy e-locker and installed my 5.29 4 cyl gears into it, modified the axle housing and haven't had a problem since.

------------------
1991 Toyota 4Runner:
4" Procomp Lift / 2" Roger Brown (4Crawler) Body Lift
Rancho RS9000's / AE 589 15x10 / 35x12.5 Goodyear MT/R
Toyota Electric Locker Rear / Detroit True-Trac Front
5.29 US Gears / Custom 2 1/4" White Rock Muffler Exhaust
Chrome Removed, Black Trim :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
So all you had to do was modify the four bolt holes and grind the motor's spot out? And pound out the back then?

No grinding the top and bottom of the housing to clear the gears?

------------------

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm sounds good. i guess now im on the look out for an e locker... thanks

------------------

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by ryankenn:
So all you had to do was modify the four bolt holes and grind the motor's spot out? And pound out the back then?

No grinding the top and bottom of the housing to clear the gears?

Yup, I welded up a shoulder around where you make the cut out for the motor. Ground it flat, drilled and tapped the new holes. Set up the diff. I'm not sure if I ground out the top and bottom to clear the gears (if I did it was _very_ minor) Then finally I got out the blow torch and went to work pounding out the back.

I would really suggest that if anyone does this mod that they heat metal up real good before making that little "clearance dent" on the back cover.

------------------
1991 Toyota 4Runner:

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's what I was curious about, if you used 4cyl gears you shouldn't have had to grind the top/bottom at all, because the stock ones fit fine. The reason grinding is needed at all is the 6cyl gears are bigger and won't clear the diff opening.

How hard was it to set up the 4cyl gear on the 6cyl diff? With the greater availability of cheap 4cyl gears it would be easier to get 5.29s that way.

------------------

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by ryankenn:
That's what I was curious about, if you used 4cyl gears you shouldn't have had to grind the top/bottom at all, because the stock ones fit fine. The reason grinding is needed at all is the 6cyl gears are bigger and won't clear the diff opening.

How hard was it to set up the 4cyl gear on the 6cyl diff? With the greater availability of cheap 4cyl gears it would be easier to get 5.29s that way.

Well I had the 5.29 setup at a shop in my V6 3rd with the Detroit. When I swapped the gears over to the e-loacker I just left the spacers as is and then checked that pattern. I was almost perfect so I figured I give it a shot. That was in august and everthing seems to be fine. The 4 cyl gears are pretty easy to set up I think, basically you just get a pinion shim that is as thick as the difference in pinion depth between the 4 and 6 cyl pinions and then set it up as if it where a 6 cyl gear.

------------------
1991 Toyota 4Runner:

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah thats right most ring and pinions are for the 4 cylinder and just come with a pinion spacer for the V-6 except for precision gears they have a true V-6 gear set so yes you can use it you just need the spacer so if you want to save money then just use your gears that you have BTW I just priced a set of precision gears from NSOR 5.29s for the V-6 and they wanted like 391 for em! good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
I say NO it won`t work, you should just sell me your 5:29`s

------------------
85 SR5 4 runner, 7"sup,2" body, 35"BFG muds,5:29, wide track rear, vented rotor conversion, and no place to go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After buying after market gears and comparing them to toyota gears that came out of my truck i will never buy after market gears again. After market gears are not even close to being in the same league as toyota gears. Even though i have had no problems with the after market gears, i went back to toyota 4:56. After market parts are complete junk might as well buy an american made vechile if you put after market crap in. It;s about the same quality.

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Twigman:
After buying after market gears and comparing them to toyota gears that came out of my truck i will never buy after market gears again. After market gears are not even close to being in the same league as toyota gears. Even though i have had no problems with the after market gears, i went back to toyota 4:56. After market parts are complete junk might as well buy an american made vechile if you put after market crap in. It;s about the same quality.

Well it is true there are a lot of cheap after market gears on the market right now and I would not touch them either but there are a few that are really good and if you really need the lower gearing like 5.29s you really don't have a choice but to go for aftermarket gears and if you do, go for the best.the best gears for the V-6 3rd is probably precision gears and feel very confindent that they will give great performance and last a very long time.The toyota gears are very good but unless you feel that 4.56 gears is low enough your out of luck (they made a 4.88 but good luck finding one ).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did have a pair of 5:29 precision gear then i went to 4:56 toyota gears. I plan on doing a dual transfer case to lower my gear ratio.

------------------
Treading Heavily

1 - 20 of 20 Posts