BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does any one know if trackers or sidekicks have variable rat springs in them ? Im not too sure what to look for exactly and I am trying to have a custom set of springs made and they need to know this information

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
One thing I can guarantee is that Suzuki will not tell you that. I tried to get just the spring rate and boy, did I try... There seems to be a corporate mistery surrounding all sorts of favtory specs. The dealers dont know this as they only suppose to go by part numbers for specific model years and getting this info from Suzuki Canada is an impossible task.
Anyway, the word out there is that they are not variable rate, but I dont REALY know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In order to be variable rate either the wire thickness or the winding pitch would have to change.

None of this applies so they are standard rate springs.

There is kind of a rate change due to geometry of the A-arm though - not related to the spring design itself.

Btw, stock front coils are around 380 lb/in, rears are around 180 lb/in. This is second hand info from ProComp so mistrust its accuracy. Best way to know for sure would be to do the math or measure.

HTH

[email protected]

·
Registered
281 Posts
sounds pretyt high for the rear, front sounds about right. In the rear I would guess more around 110-130lb/in.

TJ coils are stiffer and I thought they were around 170-180lb/in for the tall ones?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I heard the rears are something in a 160 range, but yet again, it’s unconfirmed. One thing to keep in mind is that there were 4 different Sidekick/Tracker models produced. The spring rates as well as lengths are known to be different between say, 2Dr sidekick and a four door one.
There was also a 2Door 2WD Tracker, which rode lower than a 4WD, suggesting the springs may have been shorter or softer or both and the later 4 Door Sport, with different ride characteristics. Evidently this is a result of a wider track and 16-inch wheels, but also possibly different springs.
One thing for sure: no one knows exactly what they are.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
just the facts ma'am

To second the second hand info. I know for a fact that the Procomp spring rates are stiffer than factory. What the actual rates are, who knows. The ex has a procomp kit and it road rough compared to stock. Stock springs are not variable. If you are looking for cheap variables check out Aerostar (yes the ford minivan) rear coils. They maybe a bit too soft but they are tall (like 20") and variable. They worked ok in a sami but depending on what you are using them for they may work out (also depends largely on spring placement and weight) for you.
just my .02
:*******

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: just the facts ma'am

Shogunator said:
To second the second hand info. I know for a fact that the Procomp spring rates are stiffer than factory. What the actual rates are, who knows. The ex has a procomp kit and it road rough compared to stock. Stock springs are not variable. If you are looking for cheap variables check out Aerostar (yes the ford minivan) rear coils. They maybe a bit too soft but they are tall (like 20") and variable. They worked ok in a sami but depending on what you are using them for they may work out (also depends largely on spring placement and weight) for you.
just my .02
:*******
If I remember correctly, the Procomp stuff was 420/200 lb/in front front/rear. Or was the 180 lb/in the ProComp number?

Sorry, this was 1994 and I never wrote it down.

HTH

[email protected]

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was thinking that the rear should be easy to measure. COuldn't you just raise the back of the truck until the coil begins to unseat, measure that distance and compare it to that same distance at ride height? Just take your truck through one of the truck scale (port man comes to mind) when it's closed or not busy and find the weight on just the rear wheels, then divide?

Seems to make sense, any reason this wouldn't work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts