BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the real scoop for those that have been 'busted' at vehicle inspections? First how frequent are they? I have only seen one. Are there places that you can 'pay' for a pass? What 'bad' features does a body lift have to have to get a fail? Any other info?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've gone through 3 so far, just make sure everything works. An 'anal' shop will check everything from dash lights to tire pressure.
How frequent are they? By the book, once you have one, your 'supposed' to get it done every year after that (hence the decal).
Are there places that you can 'pay' for a pass? Are you saying your driving around in a death trap?? Can you let me know when and were you are driving?? (so I can stay home). :D
What 'bad' features does a body lift have to have to get a fail? Can't use hockey pucks. I don't know how a body lift could fail you unless its like 6" or home built (hockey pucks, square tube,ect).
As long as your lights work, bearings, brakes & balljoints are good, yur frame is solid, horn & E-brake work, you should do OK.
Unless you can see outside without using windows :laugh

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Small vehicle don't have to return annually unless the owner decides that they want to.

Only vehicles that meet the criteria set out in Division 25 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations have to go regularly.

Link to Regulations

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Weird, I 'had' to go the second time (so the officer said) cause my decal had 'expired'.
I was also informed that 'hypotheticaly' I could get another V.I. 24 hours after it gets done and nuthin can be done about it. The decal is to infom me when it's time to re-inspect.
Sure would be nice to call on some of the 'bull ****', but I doubt it would be worth it anyways. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
898 Posts
In theory, the cop could wait for you outside the shop that just did the inspection, and issue a new MVI, but you could fight it fairly easily if he did....
While getting inspected annually isn't required on a small "truck", I would think that if you started collecting annual inspection decals, they would probably leave you alone after a few years....

·
Registered
398 Posts
OK Since this thread is going.

Are beadlocks legal?

I have heard tons of mixed thoughts on this, and I just cant see what the reasoning is that would make them illegal.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
the answer is yes and no.

Most beadlocks are not DOT aproved so they are not street legal, but there are a few like Hummer beadlocks that are DOT aproved and are street legal.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jarett said:
the answer is yes and no.

Most beadlocks are not DOT aproved so they are not street legal, but there are a few like Hummer beadlocks that are DOT aproved and are street legal.
So I guess my rockstomper beadlocks arent.
:rolleyes:
:D

G

·
Sheldon I think the least of your worries would be the beadlocks.:clown If you want I'll do a free inspection and send in the paperwork for ya:clown

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I believe 'line lock' is not legit because it requires the primary braking system for the initial pressure, AND cause it relys on electricity to maintane the pressure.
ie. fuse pop = bye by
This is how I had it explained to me. I'm wondering about driveshaft brakes. Anyone know the legitimacy of them?? Stock on Toyatas right?? So.............must be good??

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I thought old Land Cruisers had em??
And rear disks would be legit if you used Caddy calipers, or somethin similar with an E-brake built into them.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Too much maintanence. Owner makin sure ALL 30 or screws stay tight. :*******
I heard it was cause of possibilities of screws commin out & junk. Don't know how this would differ from a Hummer wheel tho.
The other thing I heard was the wheel manifacturers have to get the wheels "tested and approved" or some sh!t. And its pricy.
reason #2 sounds more legit to me, but as I said....... it's just stuff I heard from nobody official.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
It is the same thing with braided brake lines. They started out as a racing application but had to jump though some hoops first and get approved for street use. Now that they have been around for some time, no one thinks twice about it.
AFAIK, if it is a safety item, it must be approved before it can be used.
Beaklocks are becoming more popular and the aftermarket is responding quicker to the needs of the consumer, so I would not be surprized to see them with their DOT or MOT stamp in the next couple of years.

Wes

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boggin toy said:
Rogue Bronco said:
Stock on Toyatas right??

nope
Stock on my 84 Zuk T-Case. Drive-line e-brake that is. I bet just HAVING a previous inspection sticker on your window tips a cop off to have another look at you. Kunts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
no doubt, thats why I always stick it to my copy of the inspection report and keep em with my insurance papers :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
T-case e-brake is not a problem. My Samurai passed with it a couple of months ago. If you want the whole list of stuff they look for, I typed it out somewhere on this board, do a search.

·
Registered
277 Posts
b&b TIRE LAND in langley does a wicked VI. :D

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Driveshaft e-brakes were more common on older vehicles, and I think are still found on some heavy trucks.

The purpose of the emergency brake is to have some form of braking not connected to the hydraulic system. If the hydraulic system were to fail, the mechanical system is still there to function. That was how line locks not qualifying was explained to me.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
Skidmark, it's a good thing that you don't live on the mainland or some of these boys might be in trouble. ;)

Remember guys, there are a few cops who actually are on our side and want to help us via education and cooperation. Don't believe me? click here

:canadian :*******

1 - 20 of 21 Posts