BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volvo portal axles... ($ info - Updated)

Yup Volvo... not just good for yorks! :D
Does anyone know anything about these axles? WWW links or postings on other boards? I'm searching on pirate but no luck so far. :confused:

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
The only thing I could figure them being used on is something like the C330 ... at least I think that's the correct model no. I'm referring to the "Laplander" vehicles they built for military/emergency use.

Speaking of which, the Pinzgauers also have portal hubs if I'm not mistaken.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah I just found that info, they came in the C303 Laplander. Form what I can find they are just as beefy as a mog axle, 61" wide with vacuum lockers. 2.1:1 (could be 2.02:1) portal reduction and 8" R&P with a 7.08:1 or 5.97:1 overall ratio. Plus 6" to 8" more clerance over a non portal axle. Birf's too I think...

Ok just found out you can have a set of these for something like $1400USD

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More Volvo portal sightings...
Found on Pirate4x4, click to read the thread

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
These are a fair bit narrower than the mog portal axles (61" vs 69") and the ring gear is only 8" versus the mog 9", but they would definately be the ideal way to go on anything other than a full size truck. Judging from the pictures the pinion is a lot shorter than the mog ones, which would make the very ideal for Jeeps and other short wheel base trucks, and it looks like they can be had with disc brakes in stock form.

That volvo looks sweet on those axles!:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the cats a$$ I think, I forgot all about FJ80 axles when I saw `em.

First hand ratio info is hard to find though but they definatly have a "fast" 5.99:1 and a "slow" 7.08:1 version but I haven't been able to pin down the reduction or R&P ratios. And as far as I know the disc brakes are a conversion done by www.xtremeaxle.com, waaaay too much money though get them someplace else. There is a source in sweden for these axles and they are selling for 14000sek which is about $2350cad a set, but I've had no reply to my emails yet. You can also get these from www.real4x4.com, and soon you'll be able to have the full C303 too.

This is what they come out of... A Volvo C303 or "Laplander"

The big brother C304, bigger axles than the 303...

These trucks are either being scraped by the Swedish military for enviromental reasons or sold to the Brits for auction. I don't know if I'll be able to swing it but I want a set of the 303 axles and if possible a complete 6x6 if Vince @real4x4 starts to import them. The rig would be a pita to find parts for but you can get 303 portal parts from a Swedish Volvo dealer still!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just started dealing with a company to bring these in . they are not as strong as the mog portal but they are lighter and the set ive seen in use at calrocs seemed to hold up .
there are currently a few people importing them but asking outrageous prices $7000 for the front and $5000 for the rear :eek: .

parts will be very hard to come by . i will be selling them for $2200 ea front or rear or if i could put together a five people that want them the price will drop 500 per axle , they are available now but the wait is about 5 weeks .
i am using a set in the new buggy we are building

alan

·
Registered
148 Posts
alan said:
i will be selling them for $2200 ea front or rear or if i could put together a five people that want them the price will drop 500 per axle
Is it safe to assume that since you're advertising in Canada that these are Canadian prices? I understand that http://www.xtremeaxle.com/ supposedly has parts available to repair these axles, or at least that's what he tells me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I've gotten a reply from the guy I contacted in Sweden about these axles... good news too by the sounds of it!

Details...
A full set of axles, front and rear with r/centered, difflocks, vacuum valves, and full steering linkage plus 4x16" wheels. Three ratios to pick from, 5.99:1, 7.08:1, and 7.4:1. The faster (gigglin' my a** off) one is about $2600 a set f/r with goodies. The slower ratios are going almost $400 cheaper a set so $2200. I can get them shipped here for $400 ($240 a ton per sq/m), and the price will drop for orders of more than one set of axles on the shipping and the axles themselves! So this means if you want them we can get a good price in bulk.

Ballpark pricing...
5.99:1 w/rear centered vacuum difflock, front w/full steering linkage, all vacuum valving, and 4 wheels $3000

7.08:1 or 7.4:1 w/rear centered vacuum difflock, front w/full steering linkage, all vacuum valving, and 4 wheels $2600

As stated price drops on axles and shipping for more than one set ordered. I've never built a Dana 60 but from what I understand this is less then the cost of doing maybe one axle, nevermind both! These are the best option I've seen to go under a Toyota or other small rig...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a helluva deal to me too, thats why I'm so keen on getting a set. :D
When I look at prices for what I would like to do with a 4x I think this would be one of the best deals I could make, lockers, lots of clearance, low gears, and some beef to boot. I really can't see any down side to a mod like this aside from parts having to come from half way around the world... :p. Although if I can come up with part numbers and some sweet talkin' at a local Volvo truck dealership I can't see it being too much of a problem.

I've talked with one guy putting these into a Rover and they are for the most part a bolt in so for me this looks like a no brainer choice. Now if I can spark someone elses interest too so the price will drop even lower it's a win win proposition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is it only a locker in the rear? or front as well? and its vacaum actuated so kinda like an arb air locker? are those prices with disc brakes or without? and finally, is the front diff driver side or passanger side?

Sorry for the tons of questions but im very intrested as i am currently looking to do a mog axle swap into my yota but this sounds like it might be a better option.:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lockers front and rear.

Some what like an ARB I would assume, still learning about them though. They can be converted to cable actuated.

Drums front and back in OEM form, I will find some info on disc conversions. Keep in mind that these are beefy brakes from a heavy military truck made to carry 10 or more fully equiped troops. I think they will stop just fine as drums.

Passenger side diff on the front.

Mog axles are w i d e and heavy, great in a fullsize but these would rock under a Toy.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
My only complaint is that the gearing would be a tad low if you were to run, say, 38" or 40" tires. Any idea of what the max recommended rpms are for these axles? On the 'Mogs you are pushing it even with 44" tires at hwy speeds. Parts availability is another issue but only if breakage occurs.

Personally, I'd like to get the ENTIRE rig over here, add a pop-top, and make it into a comfy camper and outback wagon.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Toys run something like 5.13 gears to turn 35" tires, right? I'd just like to get some sort of feel for what these gears would be like.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I thought about it being to low at first too but I crunched a few numbers and this is what I got...

Top gear rpm for 60mph
th700r4 and 5.99's 2285rpm = 60mph on 37's
sm420 and 5.99's 3300rpm = 60mph on 37's

TH700r4
1st gear 3200rpm = 19mph on 37's
2nd gear 3200rpm = 36mph on 37's
3rd gear 3200rpm = 59mph on 37's
4th gear 3200rpm = 84mph on 37's

Crawl ratio with Toy T-case
th700r4 and 5.99's stock single case = 41:1
th700r4 and 5.99's with d/case, stock gears = 95:1
th700r4 and 5.99's d/case w/2.28+4.7 gears = 196:1
th7004r and 5.99's d/case w/2x4.7 gears = 404:1

sm420 and 5.99's stock single case = 95:1
sm420 and 5.99's with d/case, stock gears = 218:1
sm420 and 5.99's with d/case, w/2.28+4.7 = 447:1
sm420 and 5.99's with d/case, w/2x4.7 = 912:1

I think with a th700r4 with it's OD of 0.7 and 37" tires 2285 is a good rpm for a 4.3 V6. And it's easy to get a good crawl with just a dual case setup, 4.7 gears wouldn't even be needed unless you where really hardcore.

Breakage is an issue but a small one I think they are after all ex military gear. Armys have it made tough and to take abuse, plus guys in Europe right now are racing these in formula off-road and they are holding up well. And being a portal axle the greatest torque forces will be below the shafts in the reduction, so less strain on the really expensive parts. Good for the reat of the drive line too.

Here are a few more pics I found of the inside of `em...
C303 3rd member

Volvo's idea of a birf'

Spur gear in the reduction unit

Disc brake conversions can be done on these axles with parts from Wilwood.
The dry weights on these are front ~180kg and rear ~155kg, so do these sound good to anyone else besides me? :D

BTW Lars...
I think that a 304 would be the best ****** camping rig a person could ask for! Add a pop top, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw them... I'll be buggin' Vince at real4x4 to import them too as well as the 303's he has planed. If you really want one rumor has it that you can get a complete 303 in europe for $2000 to $3000usd.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Spudzz said:
I thought about it being to low at first too but I crunched a few numbers and this is what I got...

Top gear rpm for 60mph
th700r4 and 5.99's 2285rpm = 60mph on 37's
sm420 and 5.99's 3300rpm = 60mph on 37's
With an overdrive, I agree that it would be much better. I don't currently have one and that 3300rpm figure is a bit high for my comfort. Guess I'll have to get a TH700R4 or maybe an AW4. ;)

Volvo's idea of a birf'
What's the story on that constant velocity joint? Any word on their durability?

BTW Lars...
I think that a 304 would be the best ****** camping rig a person could ask for! Add a pop top, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw them... I'll be buggin' Vince at real4x4 to import them too as well as the 303's he has planed. If you really want one rumor has it that you can get a complete 303 in europe for $2000 to $3000usd.
Hmm...I think it's time to send my buddy in Holland an email. He's a Jeep and Unimog nut. I wonder what he has to say about the C303/304.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes the 3300 rpm for 60mph with an sm420 is too high for comfort. I know that there is a solid manual out there with an OD but I just couldn't recall which one it was, nv4500 maybe?

Everything I've seen/read so far on the CV would indicate that it is a very beefy part without any breakage issues. I was wondering what a trip to Bobby Longs shop would do for a set of them though.

I'm sure that Gilbert would know about them, I would like to hear an impression from someone that has seen and knows more about the 303 and 304. They do seem to be a very popular and sought after vehicle. Hence the out rage over the planned scraping of the whole fleet by the Swedish military. T J Leavesley in England bought some 2500 trucks and peices of equipment for liqidation. www.leavesley.com They do have the Volvos for auction but I think the price will be very steep compared to a private or brokered sale. The $2000 to $3000 I had mentioned is the going street price for them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts