BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have in my hands a 1.6na VW diesel and need to mate it to a 5 speed transmission. Since Samurai tranmissions are becoming harder to find I was wondering if anyone has adapted this engine to a Toyota Transmission??

Any help anyone can give me would be great.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why not get a five speed out of a Volvo Diesel car.
The Volvo's used a VW - sourced diesel...
Also the Audi fox car had a rear wheel drive version that used a five speed....
( seeing as how Most vw's used the 1.6 as a transverse mount...)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Speaking of trannys, does anyone know what the total length of the T40 series (maybee T45?) 4wd transmission is without the belhousing (if they are seperable)?

thanks,

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been told the VW engine in the volvo will not bolt up to a VW transmission from a fellow named Perry Pillard. He has built an adapter to mount the VW diesel to the toyota tranny.

The volvo tranny also actually a 4spd with electric overdrive, unfortunatly it is not water proof so don't try submarining! I wanted to use just the Volvo bell housing to adapt to the toy tranny.
Ken

PS don't bother with the sam tranny, when using the sam tranny you must use the sam flywheel which is much lighter than the VW flywheel. The lighter flywheel lets the motor pound on the tranny a fair amount shortening the life.

A fellow named Eric Dossett from Alaska has had good luck with the 1.3 tranny hooked to a 1.9 TD but I'd say he is an exception.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Iused a vw fox flywheel turned down to fit inside the samurai tranny bellhousing

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I realize you have the VW diesel already, but wouldn't a Toy or Nissan diesel engine and trans combo be a better choice?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The VW diesels are the lightest engines. Not to mention there parts are easy to get and fairly inexpensive. Toy and Nissan engines are harder to find.

I have had Nissan diesels before and didn't like their characteristics(driveability.) The swap is fairly straight foward. Reqires the fly wheel to be machined and re drilled. The adapter plate is fairly straight foward as well.

Besides who wants togo the easy route. If I wanted to do that I would have just run the sami tranny with a store bought adapter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts