BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 4runner and the transmission is pooched. It makes whineing noise in every gear but 4th but even t hat is starting to go now. I was wondering if anyone knows a reputable place to get an exchange tranny?

·
Registered
193 Posts
These trannies are generally very tough. You could probably go to a wrecker and grab one with a bit of a warranty for cheap.

How did you smoke it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like the counter shaft bearing are gone which is very common in the W 56 trans to Remove,install & Over haul it (replace 7 bearings and synchro would cost about $750.00. or you could pick up a used trans and end up with the same noise. If you plan on keeping the 4 runner I would recommend the O/H . if you go for the used trans I might be interested in the core for the right price

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
if you have a 22re its your lucky day. i parted out my 89 runner (22re) a few months ago. you can have it for 400 bucks way cheaper than a rebuild or o/h. it had just over 200 kms on the clock when i bought/parted it out... something like 217 i think.

so 400 bucks.... but id like one xfercase for a core when i get a marlin unit. you can have the best one.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
ps there are no leaks and i didnt have any problem with noises etc.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

1 - 5 of 5 Posts