BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all the toy guys are doing it, can it be done in a sammy?
would it be a TON of mods? why not?
just a crazy thought i had.

they just flex so nice!!!

·
1,269 Posts
Measure how long your leafs are, I forget how long the waggys are. You should also check how wide they are, the waggys are 2.5" wide. They also run pretty flat so if you have springs with a good arch in them on there now you may have to do some bigger shackles or drop your hangers. And yes, they do flex awesome! :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
MRTracker said:
Sorry,:confused: , Waggy's? Can somebody fill me in?
Slang for full-size Jeep springs. I'm not sure if the J-truck springs are the same (well, I do know that the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have different ones), but the Cherokees and Waggoneers (hence the term Waggy) etc. are the same within years (with possible differences in number of leafs for towing packages etc.).

Fronts are usually 5 to 7 leaf and about 45" under load (centered pin). Rears are same and about 54" (off-center pin).

I'm curious to know how they would work on a Sami since they are designed for a lot more weight. Good thing my Sami is going to be heavier than normal. :cool:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would think that making them a 4-5 leaf pack would work awsome on a sammy!!
my thinking is a 1/4 eliptical in the rear and waggys up front?
what do you think?

·
Registered
412 Posts
jo-jo said:

[I'm curious to know how they would work on a Sami since they are designed for a lot more weight.]

i must admit this whole spring rate thing has got me baffled. front springs for a Jeep CJ which is smaller and lighter than a YJ OR TJ, have 300 lb rate.
YJ's i've discovered, have aprox. 160 to 175 lb rate springs stock and aftermarket ones maybe around the 180 190 mark.

why were the CJ's so brutally stiff? i can't remember the Sammy spring rate, but i think it's quite a ways up there too-more than the YJ's anyway.
the only thing i can think of is maybe a narrower, shorter wheelbase has more affect on designing spring rate than actual vehicle weight. a longer, wider vehicle needs less stiff springs to combat stability issues i guess.(in the context of say Jeeps and Samurais- not a blanket statement including F-150's or something:D)
how then the Waggy's fit in to this mix has got me, but if YJ's and Wagoneer's work......*shrug* hey go for it, right?

[Good thing my Sami is going to be heavier than normal.]

care to elaborate? or is this a "Stay tuned til next month's exciting episode of: As The Sammy Turns"...............:D

·
Registered
394 Posts
lane smith said:
i must admit this whole spring rate thing has got me baffled. front springs for a Jeep CJ which is smaller and lighter than a YJ OR TJ, have 300 lb rate.
YJ's i've discovered, have aprox. 160 to 175 lb rate springs stock and aftermarket ones maybe around the 180 190 mark.

why were the CJ's so brutally stiff?
Where did you get this info?

I wouldn't call CJ springs "brutally stiff". Maybe brand new ones, but all the CJs I've had have had well worn in springs that flex like crazy, and still have good arc to them.

[Good thing my Sami is going to be heavier than normal.]

care to elaborate? or is this a "Stay tuned til next month's exciting episode of: As The Sammy Turns"...............:D [/B]
Heavier drivetrain. I have a Dana 44, and a high pinion Dana 30 for it right now, and I'm looking for an engine and trans. I'm on the hunt of for a 2.5L Pontiac 4-cylinder (used in various vehicles, and commonly refered to as an Iron Duke...I have one in one of my CJs) or a Volvo 4-banger. I have a Volvo four speed, but am tossing around the idea of a 5-speed (push button overdrive) or auto. I also have a couple Dana 300 t-cases. So ya, kinda waiting for the next episode. :D

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
As the sammy turns

That's a good one Lane...

I'd think it'd be more appropriate to call it Jo-Jo's World though. I'm curious to know why Jo-jo doesn't have his own page on the island board, since moose does. It seems as though they both have the same amount of stuff going on...

Just a thought.

Forget the leaves, go coilovers!
:welder :*******

O and Jo-jo, do you have a dana 18 in your stash that you wouldn't mind parting with for a relatively inexpensive price. Rhys needs one to get his reduction back into wheeling mode... :*******

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: As the sammy turns

Shogunator said:
That's a good one Lane...

I'd think it'd be more appropriate to call it Jo-Jo's World though. I'm curious to know why Jo-jo doesn't have his own page on the island board, since moose does. It seems as though they both have the same amount of stuff going on...

Just a thought.

Forget the leaves, go coilovers!
:welder :*******

O and Jo-jo, do you have a dana 18 in your stash that you wouldn't mind parting with for a relatively inexpensive price. Rhys needs one to get his reduction back into wheeling mode... :*******
Island4x4.com is my page silly! :clown

I'll be doing some project pages when I actually get to work on the projects. :rolleyes:

Right now, I'm in hunter/gatherer mode... :*******

Sorry, no Dana 18s, but I saw a free one in the Island4x4.com classifieds somewhere. Maybe explain the mod for me, I have a couple Dana 20s.

·
Registered
412 Posts
jo-jo said:

[Where did you get this info?

I wouldn't call CJ springs "brutally stiff". Maybe brand new ones, but all the CJs I've had have had well worn in springs that flex like crazy, and still have good arc to them.]

sorry, i should have said "it sounds like they would be brutally stiff" just in observation of the data found on the net.

i imagine oem specs for new springs must go out the window after a few years of use anyway now that i think of it, but i've only ever had my Samurai- no other (4 wheeled) vehicles to compare against, ownership wise.

i had typed in "cj leaf spring rates" and various combinations of "spring rates"/"yj leaf" etc etc in "google" and noted the more ummm... accredited "looking" listers of specs and trivia.:D
cj-3b's had 10 leaf 260 lb/in springs and "optional 10 leaf 400 lb/in springs on some M606 models" <--------yikes.

this was from here:http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Specs.html

[I have one in one of my CJs) or a Volvo 4-banger. I have a Volvo four speed, but am tossing around the idea of a 5-speed (push button overdrive) or auto. I also have a couple Dana 300 t-cases. So ya, kinda waiting for the next episode. :D

"i have one in one of my cj's" good grief:eek:
do you have part of the Island roped off for just your backyard goody stash?:D

Dave- "Jo-Jo's World" doesn't sound too far fetched, now that you mention it...:D
(you coil sprung elitest snob, you :flipoff2: smiley heh heh)

·
Registered
394 Posts
lane smith said:

"i have one in one of my cj's" good grief:eek:
do you have part of the Island roped off for just your backyard goody stash?:D

Dave- "Jo-Jo's World" doesn't sound too far fetched, now that you mention it...:D
(you coil sprung elitest snob, you :flipoff2: smiley heh heh)
Um...ya, it's getting a little crowded around here. I need a larger yard, larger shop (800 sq.ft just ain't cuttin' it anymore), and a larger forklift. About the only thing that I need smaller would be a welder, mine weighs a whopping 850lbs (good thing I have a forklift to move it)! :welder :*******

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
Island4x4.com is my page silly!
I know... It would just be waaaayyy cooler if you had your own forum for your stuff instead of hunting all over the place to see what's up. Just a thought.

I can't describe the mod here... The only reason I'm looking for an 18 rather than a 20 is the offset rear output. He's running a "spidertrax type ff" so an offset case would be better. The secret part is how we make it divourced and really low geared. It's not rocket science but I don't need any whiners running around asking for one. I can e-mail you if you want.

Lane,
I'm not a snob, elitist... maybe but no seems to apperciate my humour (except you of course) so I don't bother posting too much. Oh and what happened to your post count?

·
Registered
412 Posts
i have to turn my humour chip "off" when i'm here. apparently Accountants ruffle too many feathers.:D

:confused: post count? seemed ok this morning. well maybe a little fever, but no coughs or sneezes. i think it's faking it.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
i have to turn my humour chip "off" when i'm here. apparently Accountants ruffle too many feathers.
Ha!
:D

I guess you lurk more than you post here, I thought your totals were up a little higher that's all. :*******

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.