BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am getting a 1998 chevrolet silverado 2500 4x4 extended cab, 8 lug bla bla bla...

anyways i need some advice and options for lifting, im thinking of putting on a 3" body lift - its forsale right now... so with the body lift i am thinking of putting rancho 5000 shocks on, been recomended?? with these two things do you think it will have a good ride off road?? and good on road?? and is there anything else i should get? leaf springs thing like that to make the lift better, if i do go this way... instead of just buying a susupension lift...
thanks for reading the long message, any help would be appreciated!!!
thanks Greg.

·
Registered
600 Posts
First off, you won't be able to lift that truck's suspension without buying a proper lift kit. You could get springs for the rear, but you will need a kit for the front if you want to do it properly. A body lift won't do anything to help the way your truck rides, and unless the truck has lots of miles on it Rancho 5000's might not be a big improvement.

If you say what you wanna do with the truck I could make some more suggestions; are you gonna actually 4x4 with it or just drive it on the street?

Go read the Chevy/GM IFS board at www.off-road.com, there's countless guys there that have late model trucks.

------------------
1978 GMC 3/4T 350/465/205 dents scratches some mods and 265/75/16 BFG M/T

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by beaterchevy:
First off, you won't be able to lift that truck's suspension without buying a proper lift kit. You could get springs for the rear, but you will need a kit for the front if you want to do it properly. A body lift won't do anything to help the way your truck rides, and unless the truck has lots of miles on it Rancho 5000's might not be a big improvement.

If you say what you wanna do with the truck I could make some more suggestions; are you gonna actually 4x4 with it or just drive it on the street?

Go read the Chevy/GM IFS board at www.off-road.com, there's countless guys there that have late model trucks.

it will be drivin on road more than anything, with the odd off roading day, and trips up the mountian ect..
i just want it to look good, and ride good, body lifts i sort of want to stay away from, anyother suggestions would help, if not i might go with the body lift, its being sold for a yukon, suburban ect. allthough i have been told it will fit the silverado anyways?? any comments on this, its going for only 75 bucks!
let me know
thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any more suggestions comments????
i have to get back to whoever it is on this board thats selling the body lift??
is this suggested getting a yukon/suburban body lift and putting it on a silverado?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well best recomendation I can personally give you is to not go with the body lift cause they're cheesy and everyone's got a new chev w/ a 3" lift. In my opinion your truck would look great with no body lift, and a set of 285/75R16 BFG M/T KM's. Those tires will fit your truck if installed on the STOCK rims, and they look good, and will function if you ever take the thing offroad.

If you want a bit better ride, cough up for a set of Bilsteins which woulda came with the Z-71 sticker.

Thats about it man, sorry I can't help you much; but I'm not about to recommend a body lift and a set of cheapo Rancho 5000's (I run em, but I don't got a wicked new truck). If you want new rims, you're gonna have to stick to a smaller tire.

Keep it stock and simple for a while till you know what you really want to do with her.

Can't tell you if that body lift will fit a pickup, the guys at off-road.com will; but they're dirt cheap anyways, and unless it will work and its COMPLETE don't bother with it at all.

If you really want to go big, buy a suspension kit (not a PROCOMP) and do it right.

Hope that helps; good luck.

P.S. Good choice with the 8-lug 2500 - Dont be fooled by the Z-71 sticker; if you're gonna lift (suspension) the only thing that will be left is the sticker.

------------------
1978 GMC 3/4T 350/465/205 dents scratches some mods and 265/75/16 BFG M/T

[This message has been edited by beaterchevy (edited February 13, 2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts