BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cruiser wagon is the most fuel efficient?
I am looking at fj60's and fj70's
For fuel economy should I be going gas or deisel?
Are there upgrades or addons that will improve fuel economy.
I found a really nice cruiser that I want but need these answers to help my decision.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
diesel = fuel economy

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BJ60 - 4cyl diesel is probably the most fuel efficient wagon. BJ70 is not a wagon, but is an extremely cool rig ;-)

Turbo it if you have the coin, gear it properly for your tire size, and be happy.

------------------
norm
'85 BJ70

·
Registered
56 Posts
landcruiser = bad mileage. when asking the question what gets the best mileage you have to keep in mind that these trucks at their lightest are 4000 lbs aswell they share the same aerodynamic properties as a brick! add big tires and you have a recipe for 8 galons per mile.

------------------
this is gonna take a whole lot 'o' flooring!

·
Registered
325 Posts
My brother consintaly raves on that he gets from 21-35mpg on his Bj-60, it's got the 3b diesel Engine. but on the other hand my sister consintaly complains about how she gets 17mpg with her HJ-60, but thats the 2H 6 CYL diesel, it's a big engine. anthony http://www.off-road.com/tlc/faq/body.html some good faqs

------------------
86 4-Runner STILL stock

[This message has been edited by Gullygossner (edited March 08, 2002).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is your sister's HJ an automatic? They seem to suck a fair bit more fuel than the 5 speed version.

Originally posted by Gullygossner:
My brother consintaly raves on that he gets from 21-35mpg on his Bj-60, it's got the 3b diesel Engine. but on the other hand my sister consintaly complains about how she gets 17mpg with her HJ-60, but thats the 2H 6 CYL diesel, it's a big engine.

------------------
norm
'85 BJ70

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The 2H displaces 3980cc, and the 3B 3431cc.
I had a buddy who owned a 2H 5-speed and got about 20 mpg.
My other buddy has a 3B that he's put a turbo on and gets about 23mpg or so in his BJ42.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ahhh, correction, the BJ has 34's and the wagon had 33's.
Call me later Jon.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nope it's the 5 speed, it might vary from 18mpgs, but she had a VW Golf TDI before this so, any vehicle is gonna suck back a ton more fuel then that.

------------------
86 4-Runner STILL stock

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Hj60 gets a consistent 25-27 mpg as long as I keep it around 2500 rpm on the highway. Any lower or higher and it's like flushing the toilet.

------------------
-'74 FJ40,SPRINGOVER 35"BOGGERS,POWER STEERING,FULL CAGE
-'87 HJ60 SOON TO BE SPRUNG

·
Registered
325 Posts
hmm that is very interesting, the motor has been rebuilt and done over in the past year so it should be good, it purrss like a kitten though, I love it.
Anthony

------------------
86 4-Runner STILL stock

·
Registered
31 Posts
bj70= 30.2 miles/gallon

I have just picked up a bj70 (85) and with mostly highway driving on the first two tanks I am at 30.2 miles to the gallon..
A pal here in kamloops has a bj60 same year and says he gets close to that most of the time,,,, tends to keep his revs pretty low though....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been filling and tallying to figure mileage ,and sure don't want to take it down to the bottom of the tank (DRY) but I think a good guess is about 480km... just a guess though, no glove box book, no service or spec info came with it,,
so if anyone has a extra factory manual....
or a P.T.O. winch....
or a
winning lotto ticket

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought an HJ60 from a guy who imported it from Canada. He tells me he regularly gets 30mpg with it. It's got an AXT turbo on it though.

TB:metoo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts