BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to replace my 4 cyl in my 1994 YJ Wrangler with a small V-8 or inline 6, both I want fuel injected. I have about $2000 to spend. Is it possible?? What problems will I run into with the swap? Would a new, stronger engine be compatable with the rest of my stock Wrangler? Also, what model V-8 or I-6 is best for my Wrangler??? Chevy, Ford, Dodge, AMC??? thank you.

-Aaron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Swapping a v8 or inline 6 means you gotta toss the rest of your drivetrain. Your tranny/t-case combo won't work or hold up. Neither will the axles really, especially with bigger tires and that kinda power.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Greg's right...

...truth to tell (and I've thought about this a lot), the easiest thing for you to do would be to sell your Jeep and use the money (plus some of that $2k) into buying another one with the 4.0L engine.

Seriously, the 4.0 is the "easiest" swap for a 4-cyl, but even then you have to replace the tranny & tcase, radiator, motor mounts (welded to frame), engine electrical, exhaust, etc etc.

It's a ton of work, and it'd be tough to do for under $2k unless you did all the work yourself. Swapping the whole Jeep really is the simplest solution, in my opinion.

Chris

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went from a 4.2L to a 4.0L to get the fuel injection and it was a pain in the ass. Between all the sensors, cabling, dash gauges etc...I just swapped in a 5.0L and have wandered why I didn't do it in the first place, I think it was actually less expensive than the 4.0L.

The good thing about your 4cyl is that the drivetrain will hold up, it's good on gas & it helps keep the weight down.

Wheel it!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Could someone fill me in on why he'd have to swap out his tranny and t-case if he went up to the '91+ 4.0?

·
Registered
397 Posts
'cuz the 2.5L engine comes attached to the smaller AX5 tranny, and a 21-spline NP231. The AX5 won't last long behind a 4.0L and I think the bellhousing bolt patterns are different between the two engines anyway.

I guess he could keep his t-case and just swap in a 23-spline input gear, but most times it's easier to just buy the whole package together.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts