BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now this is what I have
Toyota w56 5 speed transmission from 85 toyota 4cyl 4x4. Marlin Crawler mc07r10 dual case adapter. Rear case clocked 10* for better ground clearance. Stock 2.28 gears in reduction box and and 23 spline Marlin Crawler 4.7 gears in rear case. Toyota driveshafts, 2 piece CV front shaft, single rear. 85 Toyota axles, 4.1 gears, open diffs.
I am looking for lockers for front and rear any suggestions?
I am thinking off 4.88 gears in the rear and either welding it or getting lockers.
Anyone have something for me that will work?

·
Registered
730 Posts
i have seen a couple of broken aussies. same as the lockrites and ez locker, breaks the pins. the new yukon spartan lock has bigger pins, i have on in the front of my junk right now and havent had any problems yet, but as far as lunchbox lockers go, front diff only if your going to run bigger than 33" tire. for the setup you have, i would recommend yukon grizzly lockers or detroits.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Are 35's too much for lunchbox lockers??
in my opinion in the rear yes, in the front sometimes. i have seen guys blow up lockrites, aussies and ez lockers in the front really quickly. usually breaks the small pins. it all depends on your driving style. most guys can feel when something is about to let go and back off. if you choose to keep your foot in it, its gonna break. i am testing out a spartan locker in one of my first gens with 36 iroks and i havent broke anything yet, but i havent beat the hell out of it too much. i ran a lockrite in the front of my suzuki/toyota/buggy creation and had no issues with 35 swampers on beadlocks. however, the disclaimer is limit the tire size to 33 or you chance breaking stuff. admittedly i like to over build, which is why i switched the lockrite in my buggy out to a detroit and a hi pin setup.

front ring and pinions usually fail because the drive side of the gear becomes the coast side and vice versa in the front. hi pinion will put the drive side of the gear back where it should be, providing more strength. again, it depends how you drive your truck. if youre a hammer down driver, no matter what you install it will have a higher chance of failure. I've installed hundreds of sets of gears for toyotas, the vast majority of them 5.29's, and they stand up pretty good.

·
Registered
786 Posts
in my opinion in the rear yes, in the front sometimes. i have seen guys blow up lockrites, aussies and ez lockers in the front really quickly. usually breaks the small pins. it all depends on your driving style. most guys can feel when something is about to let go and back off. if you choose to keep your foot in it, its gonna break. i am testing out a spartan locker in one of my first gens with 36 iroks and i havent broke anything yet, but i havent beat the hell out of it too much. i ran a lockrite in the front of my suzuki/toyota/buggy creation and had no issues with 35 swampers on beadlocks. however, the disclaimer is limit the tire size to 33 or you chance breaking stuff. admittedly i like to over build, which is why i switched the lockrite in my buggy out to a detroit and a hi pin setup.

front ring and pinions usually fail because the drive side of the gear becomes the coast side and vice versa in the front. hi pinion will put the drive side of the gear back where it should be, providing more strength. again, it depends how you drive your truck. if youre a hammer down driver, no matter what you install it will have a higher chance of failure. I've installed hundreds of sets of gears for toyotas, the vast majority of them 5.29's, and they stand up pretty good.
Ah I see. So most times the pins break and not the actual locker? They are fixable but its just alot of time correct?

I just saw the grizzly locker on marlin crawler this morning, looks like a nice peice. Never heard of it before tho.

I guess it comes down to how hard you're gonna beat on it and how much $$ you got..

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ah I see. So most times the pins break and not the actual locker? They are fixable but its just alot of time correct?

I just saw the grizzly locker on marlin crawler this morning, looks like a nice peice. Never heard of it before tho.

I guess it comes down to how hard you're gonna beat on it and how much $$ you got..
when the pins break, its usually fixable, although sometimes the two housing halfs of the locker get fractured. also once in a while the carrier center pin will break in three and shoot into the gear set, or on rare occasions, out the back of the housing.

the grizzly is yukons version of the detroit, i have installed a few and have had good luck with them. so far i have not experienced a single issue. time will tell.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Damn, thats not good!

So are the grizzly's as quiet and smooth as they claim??

Sorry for the somewhat threadjack!

·
Registered
730 Posts
as smooth as a locker is. snaps and pops into and out of corners, drives like a locker.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I figured. They claim its silent. I didn't believe it... At least when it clunks you know its still working haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts