BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was power washing my truck and i washed the engine a little bit and now it wont even turn over. ive narrowed it down to either a low battery, the solenoid, or the starter. i just bought my battery the other week so thats not it, and when i turn the key, i can hear the solenoid kick in so thats not it either. ive let my truck dry out for probably 12 hours now so i know its not a wet connection. How would i find out that its my starter and that i need a new one? or would it be something different?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
try using a screw driver and crossing the terminals on your starter to see if it works. if you look at the solenoid you will see the battery cable going to the sol. and one coming off the sol. to the starter, cross these two and that will send battery power straight to the starter. it will spark but thats ok. if nothing happens DON'T keep it crossed!

·
Registered
363 Posts
ummm... that doesnt work on a toy; the solenoid is built into the starter.

if you can hear a distintive click coming from under the hood , check the main cable that runs from the battery to the starter, also check the ground cables, including the one from the frame to the block. if this doesnt solve it, its internal in the starter. theyre notorious for wearing out the contacts in the solenoid. you will have to remove the starter, and the solenoid cover plate and check the contacts for dirt or wear.

G

·
Jumping it will work fine.There is a small signal wire to the solenoid and one large cable.The other large cable goes into the starter.Cross them and it should fire up.Check if there is signal(sounds like there is)at the small wire with the key in the cranked position using a test light.You can have someone try cranking the engine and give the started a little pursuasion tap.If it fires up get a set of contacts pull out the starter and take the cover off with the three screws and replace the contacts underneath.Give the plunger a little sanding down where it contacts as well.In an emergency sometimes you can swap them but often they are shaped differently.Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts