BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 86 4x4 is doing some weird thing with the brake lights. After i've been driving for a while, once the system warms up? when I step on the brakes my clock dims and dashlights come on. Also my corner park lights. If i'm driving at night with the headlights on, it all happens faster, but then my brake lights stick on permanantly. Major pain in the ass, i'm completely baffled as to how to fix it, anybody have this problem and find a remedy?Any info would be great.
Thanks
Yari

·
Registered
87 Posts
First and foremost check your grounds. Usually an electrical problem will result from a bad ground. Then go through one by one checking the fuses to try and determine which cicuit it is.

------------------
86 toy-lc engineering motor and an sas in the works

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've seen some with the wrong bulbs, you might want yo check'em.

------------------
Tall truck + Short girlfriend = Whining

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try that,
Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
It sounds like you have a short in your lighting system somewhere. Have you been wheeling through water lately? I'd check your connections in your brake light lines in the rear. Most Toy's have plastic green connectors close to the tail lights that can hold water sometimes. Cliffhanger made a good point too. Sometimes an almost burnt out bulb can be your problem too.

------------------
Peter
82 Toy, 31" 10.5's, header, Flowmaster, K&N, Ranchos, but still pretty stock

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like your alternator is packing it in to me. Take off your positive cable at the battery. If the truck dies it is the alternator, most commonly the brushes wear out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good call, I was told a while ago when getting my timing chain replaced that it was hanging on by a thread.
Thanks

Originally posted by Toys R Rusty:
Sounds like your alternator is packing it in to me. Take off your positive cable at the battery. If the truck dies it is the alternator, most commonly the brushes wear out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts