BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I welded my rear diff last summer and was quite happy untill i noticed the tire wear. Realize that i drive up to 500km per week on pavement and you can see my problem, so i just switched my front and rear diffs (toy diffs) and have a detroit in the rear and the welded in the front. btw i can hardly tell the diffrence between the welded and the detroit in the front, i guess the detroir locked as soon as i turned the wheels.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by blake:
I welded my rear diff last summer and was quite happy untill i noticed the tire wear. Realize that i drive up to 500km per week on pavement and you can see my problem, so i just switched my front and rear diffs (toy diffs) and have a detroit in the rear and the welded in the front. btw i can hardly tell the diffrence between the welded and the detroit in the front, i guess the detroir locked as soon as i turned the wheels.
Was that a hard swap to do? what year of toy diffs did you use? and what about drive shafts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reo from no limits off road put the toy axles in for me, he sells the spring pads if you want to do it your self but it was a time thing for me. At the same time coils were put in the rear (talk about flex) and now that i have the time i'm putting the front coils in myself, 3/4 done. As an update my 86 long box now has front tj coils, front xj coils in the rear, 87 2.3 turbo intercooled ford, bw t-5 tranni, rocklobster (i'm going to keep it, need some sami in the thing) 4x4 hhs steel tubing for rocker panels and now i just have to figure out how to steer the thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Clayton Where about in Calgary do you live? We should hook up sometime. I can give you some details about the toy swap. Email me at [email protected] if you like.
Adam

------------------
Tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the
house. Do not trifle with me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I welded my rear diff last summer and was quite happy untill i noticed the tire wear.
Which parts of the diff did you weld? I've seen some whoe just fill the spider gears, others weld everything together, and I've heard of people filling the whole carrier with lead instead which I think is an interesting idea! Anyone know how much heat it takes to get lead to melt? Those diffs get pretty hot sometimes!

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

·
Registered
268 Posts
ok you're running toy gear so i've got some questions..

i've got a spool in my rear V6 axle housing and i'm running 35" BFG M/T's - drive a little less than that per week i think. probably more like 275km a week, but what can i do to decrease tire wear?

so far i've been told

a) run the tires at high inflation - 35-40psi
b) let off the gas around corners
c) run a harder rubber pair of tires in the
rear - ie. mud kings? any other kinds?

how long did you run the welded diff for? my 35" BFG M/T's are at 95% or so. what kind of things can i do? i could

a) NEVER rotate and just replace the rears every time they get down to 50% - sell em as a pair and buy two new ones - probably only cost a couple hundred bux to do that.

b) rotate often (every couple of weeks/1 month?) and have to replace all 4 tires a little later than method A.

c) just go nuts and do as many smokeshows as i can around corners/drive-thrus/driveways/parking lots etc?

------------------
85 4runner Project in progress - 35" BFG Muds, 5.29s, front Lock-Right & rear Spool, 5" Allpro front, chevy spring swap rear. lots of other junk and never enough jackstands.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe option C is the only valid choice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts