BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a utility trailer out of a galvanized boat trailer frame. I was planning to prep the area to be welded and wear a mask since I know it gives off toxic fumes. What king of rod should I use? Can I just use regular rod? I want to weld on 1.25 square tube on the sides to the frame, any suggestions?

Mike.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I think you should go price out the cost of steel instead of trying to weld together used galvanized steel. Its cheaper than you might think.

You can grind all the galvanizing off the metal (hold your breath, that stuff'll kill you) if you wanted to, but you'll also be taking metal away while you're doing it.

Welding on galvanizing sucks, period. It'll work good for a second, then the chemicals coming out blow your flux away and make a mess.

What kind of rod to use I dont know, I'd use something that'll burn really hot, of course I'd never do it either, I'd just buy the new steel thats not galvanized.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why don't you ask a Fence contractor what they use... or better yet have them do it.
I personally try to stay away from the old Zinc fumes....
If you value your time you could probably have paid for the new steel in the time it takes to properly grind off all the Galv all around the welding area....:*******

Or just weld up the trailer box as a whole and bolt it to the boat trailer frame... then there is only hole drilling and no welding

1 - 3 of 3 Posts