BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this con-fer hitch for my FJ40, and it has a small crack in one of the gussets.
Can I weld on this zinc plated or whatever it is?
It's a gold colored finish.
Will I just up and die if I do?
I've heard you should never weld galvanized metal, but what about this?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Zinc Dichromate .....
Kinda the new replacement for Cadmium plated finishes.
You should grind off the plating where you are welding for a couple of reasons...
a. Anything on the surface of what you are welding could be included in the weld... impurities etc. cause a weaker weld.
b. It's a Trailer hitch!... obviously not a place for poor welds.

As far as curling up and dying like a bug from the fumes... I don't know exactly how bad Zinc vapors are for your lungs but it can't be too good for you.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
dp said:
Can I weld on this zinc plated or whatever it is?
It's a gold colored finish.
My old boss welded a Confer axe/shovel mount to his bed that was probably the same finish. It will turn out really ugly....as far as strength I don't know because this wasn't a critical part under any type of load. Did you try and contact Conferr to see if they will fix it/replace it?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Con-Fer says" no warranty, if it broke, it's your problem".
I told them it was a safety concern, but they didn't really care.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'll weld a support under it for now, I don't want to end up more brain dead than I already am!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
zinc welding

Welding galvanized (for a short time, anyway) will not kill you. Breathing the fumes for a while will make you very sick (like the flu). If you work in a well ventilated area (outside) you will be fine, especially as you're not welding for a long time. I agree that you should grind off the coating in the weld area before welding to avoid the coating getting into the weld. You can always paint it afterward with what ever you want to prevent rust.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put some big ugly welds on it.
This stuff welds crappy, this is the ugliest job I've ever done, oh well.
I don't feel any different from the fumes, but I wore a respirator.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
dp said:
I put some big ugly welds on it.
This stuff welds crappy, this is the ugliest job I've ever done, oh well.
It's funny how bad the welds look isn't it? It causes the weld to bubble and boil and the end result is just hideous.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ChrisOlson said:

You should grind off the plating where you are welding for a couple of reasons...
a. Anything on the surface of what you are welding could be included in the weld... impurities etc. cause a weaker weld.
b. It's a Trailer hitch!... obviously not a place for poor welds.
Id have to agree 100% on this and id really be cautious with whatever ur towing

·
Registered
504 Posts
ive welded thru that stuff lots, but it was with a 200 amp buzz box, looked great afterwards....guess the heat had something to do with it???

·
Registered
19 Posts
:welder If you're welding Zinc plated it all depends on the rod you use. You can do your first pass with 6010 or 11 and the heat will burn all the impurities out. Chip the slag and put a pass of 7018 over it and it will look good as new. Give it a spray of zinc primer and you're in business. You want to avoid breathing the fumes but, a little bit like that in a well ventilated area will do you no harm. If you smoke cigarettes you're putting more bad sh*t in your lungs then you'd ever get from welding that stuff.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My crappy welds failed me while on holidays!
I towed the trailer into Cochrane Alberta and unbolted the hitch, and took it into a welding shop.
The welder beefed it up with 1/4 inch plate and gussets, it looks great and I worry no more.
All while I waited and only $47! I was very happy.
I may need to practice my welding more, but a pro knows what he's doing, and for the trailer hitch I probably should have got it repaired properly. Having it crack 900km's from home on rough roads wasn't pleasant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts