BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would my jeep run if the air filter is wet? also how would Isto water fr getting to it. I kida wet through buddle that was a lotdeeper than I thought last night and now the jeep runs like crap. as I said the air filterwas wet enough I could (squeze) water out of it. and yes I kow I uck at spelling

thanks matt

·
Registered
382 Posts
DID IT DIE WHEN YOU WENT THROUGH THE WATER?
IF IT DID YOU PROBABLY HYDRO LOCKED THE ENGINE AND BENT A CON ROD. THAT WOULD MAKE IT RUN ROUGH BUT DONT WORRY IT WONT RUN ROUGH FOR LONG AS OVER TIME THE ROD WILL SNAP AND PROBABLY GO THROUGH YOUR OIL PAN.:eek: :eek:
IF THE ABOVE HAPPENED IT WOULD BE SMART TO REBUILD THE ENGINE BEFORE ANY MAJOR DAMAGE HAPPENS.
IF IT DIDNT STALL THEN PULL YOUR PLUGS TURN IT OVER AND SEE IF WATER SHOOTS OUT. YOU MAY BE OK.

·
Registered
192 Posts
JR989 said:
How would my jeep run if the air filter is wet? Also, how would I stop water from getting into to it? I kind of went through a puddle that was a lot deeper than I thought last night and now the jeep runs like crap. As I said, the air filter was wet enough that I could squeeze water out of it. and yes - I know I suck at spelling.
How can you stop water from getting in? Get a snorkle!!! :******* :******* :*******

(at first, I thought you were drunk when you wrote this, then I saw the time :D :D )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's didn't stall. I have pulled the plugs and and there is nothing out of the ordinary. I was thinking it may be that there is not enough air getting past the filter. I am also thinking Imay have got sme water in my fuel line some where. Iwas thinking about just changing the fuel filter as well as doing a oil change and the new filter. or should I be lookin at smething else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I got the 33 damn not haveing ac also 32 EGR system failer???? 15 no speed/ distance sensor signal. and I got a 5 I did it three times and it allways ends with 5 flashes.
I think I am way over my head on this one. I just took it around the block an wen I start off in first it wants to stall. also when I say in 2 and i jut let off the gas it is as if it wants to stall or as if it lost fuel for juse a sec. and when I start it up 1 out of 3 times itwill sitwith the rpms at 1.5 and ifI just tap the gas it drops back down to normal. any help on this would be more than welcome.

Matt
oh yeah it's a 95 yj 4.0

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
JR989 said:
Thanks. I got the 33 damn not haveing ac also 32 EGR system failer???? 15 no speed/ distance sensor signal. and I got a 5 I did it three times and it allways ends with 5 flashes.
It should end up with 5-5, not just 5. 5-5 means END OF MESSAGES. If you're only reading 5, then you mis-counted. Go back and make sure that you count the numbers correct. All numbers will come in pairs (ie: there should be an EVEN number of numbers reported).

I think I am way over my head on this one. I just took it around the block an wen I start off in first it wants to stall. also when I say in 2 and i jut let off the gas it is as if it wants to stall or as if it lost fuel for juse a sec. and when I start it up 1 out of 3 times itwill sitwith the rpms at 1.5 and ifI just tap the gas it drops back down to normal. any help on this would be more than welcome.
Although it sounds a lot like a TPS problem AND the TPS hates water, I would first re-check the diagnostic codes and ensure that what you "read" was 1-5 (no speed/distance sensor signal). If that is truly what you got, then check to make sure that the sensor is plugged into the speedo cable near where it enters the transfer case.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok this time I got 12 33 21. 12 says the battery power to the pcm was disconnected. Not to sur what that is pu I dn't see any wires hanging out of anything. 21 oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normale operating temp?

Again tanks for any help matt

·
Registered
382 Posts
well if you want i live in n delta and have a spare tps that works if you want to come over and test it.
it is at cornjeepers house right now but i could pick it up.
the next few days are really bad i have to put my engine back together tonight, i leave for whistler tomorrow, and then leave for sun peaks on monday at 5:00 am i will be back wednesday and will have time to help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thaks I am going to try my best to have it going for tomorrow as I am or was going to go out to chehalis. I am still thinking it maybe my fuel. how easy is it for water or mud to get into the lines. I was just outside under the hood and gave it a few vroom vrooms and when the rpms came down it was if it was out of gas. kinda like what my mower does to me all the time when the gas is dirty. I was up to my bumper in clay soup grey mud for a good 5 min till I got out. on my own thanks. well ass always thanks for al the help and all the help to come.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
JR989 said:
Thaks I am going to try my best to have it going for tomorrow as I am or was going to go out to chehalis. I am still thinking it maybe my fuel. how easy is it for water or mud to get into the lines. I was just outside under the hood and gave it a few vroom vrooms and when the rpms came down it was if it was out of gas. kinda like what my mower does to me all the time when the gas is dirty. I was up to my bumper in clay soup grey mud for a good 5 min till I got out. on my own thanks. well ass always thanks for al the help and all the help to come.
The symptoms you describe could be caused by a variety of sources, including bad sensors.

If it was sitting in water only up to the bumper, I doubt that you got water in the tank unless your hoses are leaking.

The fact that you are getting an O2 error means that you do have an issue with the sensor so you should fix it anyways. A bad O2 could lead to air/fuel mix problems which could then kill your catalytic converter which is $$ to replace.

You can also syphon out your fuel and top it up with a fresh tank, just in case.

BTW, code 12 only means that the battery was disconnected at some point in the past. It doesn't mean it's happening right now.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
382 Posts
A SCREWED O2 WILL CAUSE THOSE PROBLEMS.
I WENT THROUGH SOME OF THOSE SYMPTOMS LAST YEAR, EVERYONE I TALKED TO SAID IT WAS THE TPS INCLUDING MY JEEP DEALER, SO I CHANGED THE TPS EVERYTHING WAS STILL THE SAME, THEN I CHANGED THE O2 BECAUSE ONE OF MY BUDDIES SUGGESTED IT AND IT FIXED THE STALLING/SPUTTERING PROBLEM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm I just put new o2 in last month when I was aveing problems getting past aircare. well I will have to just look atall the facters starting from cheap to o man I don't like kd lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.