BC 4x4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the laws in BC are for mudflaps? In the past, it was something to do with only being required if the vehicle came stock with them on, such as all Toyota mini trucks or something like that. When I read the Motor Vehicle Inspector's book, it just gives criteria on checking mudflaps if they are installed but I cannot seem to find anything in the actual Motor Vehicle Act that even talks about mudflaps. The reason for me asking is there is a "newer" RCMP officer in Langley that has been dubbed "Captain Mudflap" for pulling pickups over in the Port Kells and 200th St areas if they don't have rear mudflaps installed and warning them to install them. Some of the trucks he's pulled over were just ones with front leveling kits installed and stock sized tires! One of my friends got a VI from this guy and his training officer - she carries a tape measure and nailed my buddy on front bumper height (1.5" too high), no fender flares (his tires stick out 1.25") and no mudflaps. Anyone know what trucks actually require flaps?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Does anyone know what the laws in BC are for mudflaps? In the past, it was something to do with only being required if the vehicle came stock with them on, such as all Toyota mini trucks or something like that. When I read the Motor Vehicle Inspector's book, it just gives criteria on checking mudflaps if they are installed but I cannot seem to find anything in the actual Motor Vehicle Act that even talks about mudflaps. The reason for me asking is there is a "newer" RCMP officer in Langley that has been dubbed "Captain Mudflap" for pulling pickups over in the Port Kells and 200th St areas if they don't have rear mudflaps installed and warning them to install them. Some of the trucks he's pulled over were just ones with front leveling kits installed and stock sized tires! One of my friends got a VI from this guy and his training officer - she carries a tape measure and nailed my buddy on front bumper height (1.5" too high), no fender flares (his tires stick out 1.25") and no mudflaps. Anyone know what trucks actually require flaps?
Motor Vehicle Act (most recently revised edition)

Schedule 6
Division 7 — Other Equipment

Mudguards
7.06 - Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

* - Note the key word of "EVERY"

So if your vehicle came with mud flaps, they must have them and keep them. If by chance you bought a vehicle without them, you must have them installed.

Using the YJ and TJ as an example, the fender flares would be considered enough as they do provide "back splash" prevention.

I checked with a CVSE officer friend of mine on this before I posted, so I'm 99.9% confident in this answer...but I'd love to be proven wrong! I hate my fading flares!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
technically after the cops give you an inspection notice, its up to the vehicle inspector to interpret what the mva says. then it depends on who does the inspection, and if they are okay with how your truck looks/drives/safety requirements etc...
this is the big problem I see with this picture. We have cops running around giving notices for every little thing and they themselves dont even know what the act states. Its happened to me before and I am a licensed inpsector(commercial vehicles) and there was nothing I could do but take it from the officer and say 'thank you sir.' there is no sense arguing with cops when they decide for whatever reason they dont like your truck unless you just want more trouble.
I suggest moving to alberta where pavement pounders, rust buckets, and mud boggers get ignored every day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Schedule 6

Mudguards
7.06 - Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

So if your vehicle came with mud flaps, they must have them and keep them. If by chance you bought a vehicle without them, you must have them installed.

Using the YJ and TJ as an example, the fender flares would be considered enough as they do provide "back splash" prevention.

I checked with a CVSE officer friend of mine on this before I posted, so I'm 99.9% confident in this answer...but I'd love to be proven wrong! I hate my fading flares!
Damn, always forget to search. Thanks for the resposnes though. So basically, due to there being no actual guidelines as to what "splash and spray of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized" means, any vehicle on the road, even 100% stock, can be given a VI by a police officer that thinks it might spray too much? Then when the vehicle is inspected, the inspector, by his understanding of the above law, can tell me that my vehicle doesn't need flaps to be in accordance with the law... seems like either the laws need to be more specific or the cost of a bogus VI notice should be reimbursed by the issuer:D

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
The "actual" in the field law is:

Big tires - Put mudflaps on
Tires sticking out - Put flares and mudflaps on

If you want to minimize your hassle put big ass mudflaps on your truck and drive like an old lady.

·
Let There Be Karnage
373 Posts
The "actual" in the field law is:

If you want to minimize your hassle put big ass mudflaps on your truck and drive like an old lady.
:metoo

Best advice, don't give them any excuse to U-turn if you pass 'em and don't give them a reason to pull you over and have a closer (cringe) look if behind/infront of you.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
seems like either the laws need to be more specific or the cost of a bogus VI notice should be reimbursed by the issuer:D
The idea of a vehicle inspection is that the peace officer only has to suspect something is not right. They are not professional mechanics or vehicle inspectors. Otherwise there would be no vehicle inspection. They'd just give you a repair order and not an inspection order.

Like the others said, do everything you can not to draw attention to yourself or to be a pain if you get pulled over.

As for mudflaps, IMO every vehicle should have them. They all spray rocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Schedule 6

Mudguards

Just have a really good question so just recently i got pulled over for not having mud flaps and got a vehicle inspection here in bc even though im a alberta citizen and my vehicle is registered and insured in alberta can he still even do that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts