BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really looking into getting new axels (all depends when I have the money). I want to know what everyone's personal opinion is of what axel combo is the best. I'm running 32's on stock axels and the next size tire will be only a 33 or 35 (very slight chance on the 35s right now). Mind you I do plan on going even bigger in the distant future. I am thinking maybe a D60 rear and a D44 front, mainly so I wouldn't have to upgrade again if I ever wanted bigger meats. What are you opions??

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If I had the cash I'd do a Terra high-clearance D-60. Super strong and better clearance than a D44.
Problem is they run $4,000 US.
Considering a new D44 with guaranteed shafts and a Detroit is $2,000, and I can probably rebuild an 8.8 with heavy duty parts for around $1,500, I'll be going with one of the cheaper options.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
I'm really looking into getting new axels (all depends when I have the money). I want to know what everyone's personal opinion is of what axel combo is the best.
I'd probably go D60's if I ever decided to go bigger. That'd be enough for me.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have the cash go with Dana 60's front and rear. That is usually more than enough grunt for most wheelers. If you want to go crazy overkill check 2 1/2 ton Rockwells.

·
Registered
112 Posts
35's don't call for 60's...mind you I'm building a RC60 for the rear

44's are more thas plenty! I've been beating my 44 with no shaft breakage, and all my Jeep buddies are doing the same, and I have yet to see a rear Dana 44 break.

Only reason I' going to 60...

CJ-5 2.5"SOA and short driveshaft!

Keep replacing too many u-joints

------------------
CJ-5 Foolinjected 350, Lifted, Locked, 8274, Yada yada yada...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like the 9" rear, personally. Any combination of D44, D60, and 9" axles will let you run 35-36" tires just fine, especially if you don't abuse the truck.

All three axles have lots of aftermarket support (shafts, lockers, etc) and they're all plentiful in the junkyard (except D60 fronts, of course).

You know, even if I did have $4k kicking around to throw at a custom-built axle from Tera or whoever, I never would. Why? Paying for a solution like that takes all the fun out of it. Besides, it'd be a lot more interesting to put together a D44/Hummer portal hybrid or something...

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Dana 44 in the front and the Dana 60 is a good combo for the jeeps especially if you want to run the bigger tires. You might also want to try using the axels off of a Jeep Wagoneer. You get biffier axels plus you widen out your stance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by need*a*jeep:
You might also want to try using the axels off of a Jeep Wagoneer. You get biffier axels plus you widen out your stance.
Just being a YJ gives me a decent stance. I'm at 60" right now. My new axel will be about that too. I don't want to go any shorter or wider.

What would be a good donor vehicle for a D60 rear? And how about a D60 front too, since I'm already asking. I figure I'll check out Jeepster's idea of front and rear 60s.

Originally posted by jeepster:
If you want to go crazy overkill check 2 1/2 ton Rockwells.
I was even thinking that just maybe a D60 in the rear would be a little overkill for my needs, for now. That is why I'm asking you guys.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

[This message has been edited by OptBlackNite (edited October 20, 2001).]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
I was even thinking that just maybe a D60 in the rear would be a little overkill for my needs, for now. That is why I'm asking you guys.
If I were doing mine all over again, I'd probably go with a D60 rear. As it was, I did front/rear D44s simply because I got a screaming deal on both D44s ($65/pair). So, if you can afford it, go with a D60. Now, having said that, you will NOT find a stock-width D60 that will match your YJ's track width. You can find a 9", 8.8" and D44 that will match. So, the D60 housing will have to be shortened and you'll have to get a couple of custom shafts made. If you go this route, consider if you can off set the diff a little during the cutting phase so you can run equal length axle shafts so you only need to carry a single spare (one of the advantages of a Scout rear D44).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Outkast:
What would be a good donor vehicle for a front 9" swap?

no such thing unless you give currie a call or are able to make a d44 outers 9" center section hybrid thing. 9"s only came in the rear.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
70 Posts
D60 are overkill but won't break in a Jeep. I love 9" Fords. D44s are awesome in the front for sure. But don't let the 8.8 get forgotten. I have lots of friends with YJs, 35 and 36 inch tires and 8.8s. They wheel HARD HARD HARD and can't break them, just get the right one. I'm building a new D60 for my Cj with disc brakes, 35 spline, 4.88s and a detroit. After all fabricating and shortening the bill will be over $4500. Not cheap. I could have built a similar D44 for half of that($2750). Price out all options before jumping into something like I did.

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dana60 FF (Full Floater) so that if you ever break one you can drive off the trail unlike C clips.

I run a Dana60FF and a Dana44 on my 4Runner with 36's. If I had the option I would have done a Dana60 F/R simply because it would take a lot to break one.

Just my .02 cents....oh ya, you are talking mad amounts of cash to swap D60's into a Jeep ($4-$6k). You will have to cut the axles down to shorten the wheel base unless you want FULL WIDTH....new driveshafts and so on and so on.

If you are rich then go for it......good luck bro.

------------------
Jason

1988 4Runner SAS Dana44/Dana60 with all the fixings (For Sale)

1994 Wrangler YJ (Stock, but will be rock worthy one day)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What exactly is the width of a D60? And how much would it have to be shortened? What would be a donor vehicle?

MikeCJ5- Do you mean that they have a 8.8 in the front, or am I just reading it wrong?

What are the splines on a:
D44
D60

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
145 Posts
i'm actually building jeepster's cj7 right now. we have a 14 bolt, 4.88 and a spool going in the rear and a 3/4 ton d44 going in the front. both will be full width and will have 38's witha custom lift. probably have about 5" of lift. its almost done. this will probably be overkill but i wheel with jeepster and he likes to use alot of the loud pedal if he can't get over something rock crawling. if i was building your vehical i would definely use d60's. second choice d44 front and 9" rear. 14 bolt is a great axle but if you want any type of clearance 36 and up would be the only tire choices. now 2 1/2 ton rockwells are unbreakable. there are jeeps running them but with 44" tires. check out the jp mag to see what i mean. give me or jeepster a email if you want some more advice or help swapping. i've done it and i am a mechanic.

steve
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
If I were doing mine all over again, I'd probably go with a D60 rear. As it was, I did front/rear D44s simply because I got a screaming deal on both D44s ($65/pair). So, if you can afford it, go with a D60. Now, having said that, you will NOT find a stock-width D60 that will match your YJ's track width. You can find a 9", 8.8" and D44 that will match. So, the D60 housing will have to be shortened and you'll have to get a couple of custom shafts made. If you go this route, consider if you can off set the diff a little during the cutting phase so you can run equal length axle shafts so you only need to carry a single spare (one of the advantages of a Scout rear D44).

...lars

like i said get some the axels frome the wagoneer it has a 60 in the back doesn't it? and this thing on axel size all depends upon what you've done to your jeep and what your going to do and also cash but ( for get about it right now). taking into consideration
- you what kind of power your putting out
- what size tires your running
- gearing
- how serious is your off-roading
- oh and don't forget about your drive line
- AND I ALWAYS LIKE TO SAY BIGGER IS BETTER,DOUBLE YOUR POWER DOUBLE YOUR FUN

·
Registered
149 Posts
i'm actually building jeepster's cj7 right now. we have a 14 bolt, 4.88 and a spool going in the rear and a 3/4 ton d44 going in the front. both will be full width and will have 38's witha custom lift
Yo you think a d44 is gonna be enough up front? That's some big tires with some low gearing. Add that heavy right foot, and I dunno...

like i said get some the axels frome the wagoneer it has a 60 in the back doesn't it?
I believe it was available in J20's (not sure if they ALL had them or if it's an option). I think my axles are out of a J10, and they're D44's.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by jeepster:
The width depends on what vehicle you get it from. A chevy D60 is 69", I believe ford is 64". But why shorten the axles? Full width all the way !
Do they make a D44 in a width to match a full length D60? I don't want to be running a 60" in the front and a 64" or 69" in the rear. But if not I guess I could think about running 2 D60s at full width. Is there any downside that I should know about??

Creeper and Jeepster- thanks for offering all of your help with info and the mechanical work of doing the swap. But for right now I'm just gathering information so I can determine what combo would be best for me.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

[This message has been edited by OptBlackNite (edited October 22, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.