BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rubbing front brake, so took it apart and cleaned off the dirt. Now it is worse: rubs just driving along. What did I do wrong?

------------------
swb Sidekick 16v

·
Registered
68 Posts
need to be more specific as to rubbing, either...u're caliper is sticking...or what i think anyways is that u accidently bent the shield and it's rubbing against the disk
take a closer look

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Could take more than that, try using a c-clamp and work the caliper piston back and look for any leakage if you have money get or rebulid your caliper. Take a piece of sandpaper and using a swirling motion lightly sand the rotor and make sure it doesn't have high or low spots in it.

------------------
beer good

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My main mistake was not retracting the piston properly when replacing the caliper. Brakes work now, but still get an occassional 'whistle', ie high pitched rubbing noise when driving (NOT braking).
Any ideas? FYI the pads are a bit worn down and I will have to replace them soon. Could this be a factor?

------------------
swb Sidekick 16v

·
Registered
68 Posts
rebuild or replace u're calipers, from the sounds of it they're not retracting, u'll know if this is true because u're pads will wear down faster then they should

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. The thing is that originally the noise was whilst braking. Since I had the caliper off, the noise is when just driving. It stops when braking and for a few seconds after. The pads are down to 2mm (1mm listed as min). They are not hotter than the other sides' after a 10 mile run. Still confused. Trying to avoid taking it to the shop.

------------------
swb Sidekick 16v

1 - 6 of 6 Posts