BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Scout is mostly stock, 304 cid, 3 spd auto, soft & hard top, 31" tires, 3" body lift. What mod's are out there?, who can do a spring over conversion with out charging an arm and a leg? is it dangerous to extend my shackles to get more height? how do i get more power out of my 304? any ideas????

------------------
1980 IH ScoutII
31x10.5x15 AT
3" body lift
original 304 cid

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by scoutlawII:
My Scout is mostly stock, 304 cid, 3 spd auto, soft & hard top, 31" tires, 3" body lift. What mod's are out there?, who can do a spring over conversion with out charging an arm and a leg? is it dangerous to extend my shackles to get more height? how do i get more power out of my 304? any ideas????

Unless YOU know what you're doing, an SOA is going to cost about (or more) as much as a good 4" SUA lift.

There's just a lot of work involved in doing it "right".. OTOH, you can "get away with" a lot less, but the finished product just isn't there.

What gears are in your diffs? My stock 304 made PLENTY of power.. enough that I was flat towing my other Scout II around the mountains very happily. 304/close T19 4spd/4.09 gears, 33" tires. Power was never a problem. Traction often was though! :)

Of course, with my new built 345, power still isn't a problem. :)

Cheapest SOA I've done..

Chevy truck front Dana 44. F150 hubs n' rotors.

Grind a little on the spring perches, buy a custom steering arm, mounting studs, and a custom draglink. New brake lines. Stock driveshaft from a '73 Scout II with a 727 and Dana 30.

I put (not counting gears and new brakes) about $650 into the front end, plus shocks, which includes buying the axle.

Rear I used a Travelall rear axle, moved the spring perches, notched 'em for the 2" wide springs, and bought a longer brake line for $35. I used the rear driveshaft from a SII with a 4spd.

I got the axle for free. Put less than $50 into it.

Lengthening your shackles just a *little* bit is OK.. particularly on a 1980 with the "caster equipped" front axle. Go too far and you start tearing the mounts off the frame, and you also start getting poor handling on the highway.

No more than 2" extended (for 1" of lift).

Why do you want a spring-over? What are you going to do with your Scout when it's done?

And if you really want more power from the 304.. Gryphin Racing built my 400hp 304C. Cost me.. well, around $10/hp. :)

A More "moderate" approach would be to rebuild your engine. .060 over, .040 extra stroke (.020 offset ground crank), headers, ported heads, shave the block to bump up compression into the 9s, hotter cam, Chevy LS6 BBC valve springs to keep the valves from floating, balance the whole thing, hog out the 2bbl intake for a 670cfm ProJection TBI setup.. Pertronix Ignitor.

That'd do it, too. Not 400hp, but about half the price.

That, and a much more streetable/longer lasting engine than my 304C.

Of you could "just" go for a cam n' headers and see how much that helps. Only $600 or $700.

I'd check the differentials for gears first. If you're running 3.07s and 31s, you're just not going to get the feelin' o' POWER.

4.10s and 31s goes pretty darn well. My 304C is backed by a built 727 and 4.88s with 31s. That'll scream. But it's a race Scout.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I took so long, the info you gave me is great. I wish I had the time and money to do every thing you sugested. So far all Ive done is longer shackles (orig were 3" new are 6"-added 1 1/2" height) and went from 31"s to 33"s. Your right, going over 1" in height with the shackles has made it a little "funny" in the steering. I may drop the front down 3/4" and see if it helps. Any idea (Im about to show my rookie stripes here) how i can tell what type of diff's Ive got?

------------------
1980 IH ScoutII
convertible
33x12.5x15 BAJA
3" body and
1 1/2" spring lift original 304 cid

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any idea (Im about to show my rookie stripes here) how i can tell what type of diff's Ive got?
If you're lucky, crawl under the truck and look at the front and/or rear differential covers. Look for a little metal tag held on by one of the diff cover bolts. If the tag exists, it'll *probably* tell you the gear ratio. Read it. It'll have something like 41 11 on one line and "3 73" under it.

If the tags are gone, you'll have to jack up the rear end, put it in Neutral (block those front tires!) and just rotate the driveshaft or tires and count revolutions.

4 turns of the driveshaft for one turn of the tires = 4:1

Being a 1980, you could have as high as 2.72 gears - they're great for mileage on a flat open highway, but not with big tires and wanting any kind of POWER.

Tallest geared Scout I've owned is my '72 with 3.73s. '72 SII and '72 T'all have 3.73s, '77 SII has 4.09s, other '77 has 4.88s.. my '74 truck has 4.30s.

Plenty of giddyup all around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tag on my rear diff says 43 13 and 3 31 but on the front it says 43 14 / 3 31. What does the 43 13 stand for? Is 3 31 a good comprimise between highway and off road? One more odd question. My scout runs great on high octane but pings on low octane, if I advance the timing even a little it runs rough and hesitates when I punch it.The vacume advance seems to be working fine.If the timing chain is worn could this be the problem?

------------------
1980 IH ScoutII
convertible
33x12.5x15 BAJA
3" body and
1 1/2" spring lift original 304 cid

·
Registered
21 Posts
The tag on my rear diff says 43 13 and 3 31 but on the front it says 43 14 / 3 31. What does the 43 13 stand for?
43-13 is 3.31, 43-14 is 3.07 gears!

It's the # of teeth on the pinion vs. ring-gear (or vice versa)

Is 3 31 a good comprimise between highway and off road? One more odd question.
3.31 is pretty tall - so is 3.07. Only one taller ratio was offered - 2.72.

I run 4.09s. 3.73s are usually considered a good compromise gear eith 33s, 4.09 with 35s.

My scout runs great on high octane but pings on low octane, if I advance the timing even a little it runs rough and hesitates when I punch it.The vacume advance seems to be working fine.If the timing chain is worn could this be the problem?
Back the timing off some. How much advance are you running now?

Good luck finding a timing chain for your IH V8......

since they're all gear-driven from the factory. :) Hard for those to "wear out" or slip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by tsm1mt:
Back the timing off some. How much advance are you running now?

Good luck finding a timing chain for your IH V8......

since they're all gear-driven from the factory. :) Hard for those to "wear out" or slip.

I have 2500 dollars worth of ScoutII parts if u need any. Even a 345 block and some lower gears.On the scout I had we put MSD ignition with adjustable timeing and done a lot of on and off-road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts