BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Just a question for some info I'm gathering.

What stuff (tools, parts, gear, ect, ect) do you take out with you on your wheeling outings and I assume you take more on overnite camping trips but what extras do you take.

Also please be specific to your brand of 4x4, for other newbie's to get some info as well.
thanks

Jason
Stay safe and have fun

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I don't have many tools yet so I just take everything. I have a spare set of wheel bearing for front wheels, ratchet set, screw driver..( basic tools) full size good spare tire. If you think there is a chance of breaking something, make sure you have the tools and parts with you to fix it.

Duct tape is a definite must to take on any outing.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Completely original with Forestry box, but I added 31" tires.
360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Fluids for all (diffs, t-case, tranny, engine, etc).
Grease
Duct tape, electrical tape, zap straps
Spark plugs and wires, cap, rotor, hoses, oil filter, air filter etc. All these things you replace now and again, so hold onto the old ones (except the oil filter as they are cheap enough anyways).
Gasket material or gasket goo.
Ujoints
Rope
Assortment of other fun things...
I also carry pushrods and lifters but that is another story...
Tools goes without saying.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a 1991 toy.
i carry

1 spare front 3rd
2cv joints
1 idler arm.
1 rear axle
all fluids
and tools to fix everything.
and teh other basic stuff spare take zip ties and what not

Drew

------------------
your right i dont understand that Jeep thing

G

·
You wouldn't believe how useful those $15 12v air compressors are at canadian tire (when you're in a pinch). Also a little bailing wire and some all-round straping are always useful.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
Try anything once!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Tire plugs to fix those annoying holes that always appear in the tires.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
396 Posts
Autotel, cell phone, sat. phone, or repeater capable radio.....what ever it takes to get some of your buddies to help you out. BCAA is likely the best tool you could spend your money on. There is alway someone kind enough to give you a yank to a trailhead. This time you, next time me. What comes around goes around, golden rule, etc....

WW

------------------
1983 CJ5, 8274, 3" lift, 235/85R/16,OBA,OBB.
1984 Chev 3/4 ton 4X4
1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4. The dragon's truck!

[This message has been edited by stihl036 (edited August 09, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
autotel is sweet but crazy expensive other wise id have one to.

when im wheeling i carry tools(lots), nifty folding shovel, bout a 3-4foot prybar, engine oil, coolent, gear oil, brake fluid, lotsa bungie cords, tie wire, jumper cables, tape(elecrical, duct, masking, and some really strong clear packing tape stuff), can of carb cleaner in there somewhere, jackall, star bar, fuses, sometimes I carry one or more chain saws....... theres to much to list and I dont carry much compared to some hardcore guys

------------------
-'85 XJ Pioneer, 2dr, 4cyl, 5spd, tinted windows, CB, misc goodies,
slightly modified, rust forcing more usefull mods :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
everything just about sums it up

jackall, folding shovel, short ax, folding saw, lots of tools (socket set, screw drivers, hammer, wrenches, mechanics wire, duct tape, elect. tape, etc etc) lots of rope, tow strap, chain (about 30') come-a-long (dont have a winch yet) food and beverage (pop or water), full size spare, telescopic fly rod and reel, and anything else I can fit in the truck.....

later
Ken

------------------
81 Toy, 3 Dogs, shotgun & ******* attitude, Go ahead, try and steal it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
almost forgot, my wife!!!!

later
Ken

------------------
81 Toy, 3 Dogs, shotgun & ******* attitude, Go ahead, try and steal it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
something else thats handy is extra hose clamps, they come in handy if you brake a shock mount. something else that wasn't mentioned was some silicone spray, its good for dispersing water from your cap and rotor

------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another "tool" that would be a good idea to have on the trail is a bar of ivory soap. In the rare case of puncturing your gas tank, you can cut ivory soap to plug the hole. Gas will eat just about anything that you would think of to plug it except soap. Then just duct tape the it in there and you will be able to limp home.

------------------
'92 YJ 4cyl. w/ 3" body, 32" txr, flowmaster exhaust, funnel ram intake, 2 Pro Comp 100 watt lights.

·
Registered
50 Posts
something else that could be very helpful would be a first-aid kit

------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts