BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants me to buy an 88 chev 1/2 ton with a 4.3 v6 in it. Just curious on what you guys think about this matching. Enough power, etc. oh yeah and its only got 40000 original kms on it, full maintenance done on schedule, no rust and only 5000 dollars.

·
Registered
437 Posts
First of all if you want to turn this into a capable 4x4 lift kits are really expensive for this year and I think a 4.3 is to small for a truck of that size, you also get a weiner 10bolt axle in the rear. If your looking to buy and build a 4x4 full size chev stay with the 73-87 years, as they are the best( in my opinion)years of trucks to build into really capable 4x4 machines. But if your looking for good on gas and maybe a body lift and a little bigger tires for the ocassional offroading then yes it sounds like a good deal. This is just my .02 cents

-------------------------------------
'78 3/4T 350 chev

·
Registered
600 Posts
I second smitty's opinion. IFS lifts are very expensive, and all they do is allow you to run larger tires on a weak drivetrain.

If it's just for the street, and some logging roads by all means go IFS: better fuel milage, better handling, WAY better on logging roads, but If he wants to build a 4x4 for the trails in BC, stick to the 73-87 rigs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think they put a V6 in a fullsizes Chevy 4X4 in 88, so it must be a two wheel drive.

I don't think a V6 would have enough power to haul a fullsize truck around very well empty let alone with a load.

·
Registered
10 Posts
my buddy had a matching pair of chevs from around 1990.1 with a 305 and the other with a 4.3

he hauled a mud buggy from new york state to my area about once a month and loved to use the 4.3 as it had MORE POWER THAN THE 305.

he claimed the truck pulled better uphill and had more torque than the 305 as they both had standard trans and the powerband worked a little different or something.

he still has the 4.3

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just leave the 4.3s in the S-series trucks... I need all the parts I can get! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts