BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:

I'm occasionally getting this loud whining sound coming from what seems to be the oil pan area of the beast. From my reading and researching so far, i suspect the oil pump. Can anyone confirm this would be an expected behaviour, and noise if its on the way out? Also i've noticed since i did a seafoam treatment on the crankcase, then an oilchange and some lucas oil stop leak, i'm now getting about 3/4 on the dummy oil pressure guage in the truck when it starts, then once it warms up it settles down to the "normal" range where it's always sat. Could it be anything else, like a starter solonoid sticking or something? Suggestions?

Thanks
Yeti

·
Registered
8,058 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya gonna put in a mech guage on Friday, I guess best bet is to replace the existing sending unit so it can take a mech guage?

LOL @ the seafoam. Actually the engine is running the best it has since i owned it. The high pressure thing only started after the last oil change and i put some lucas stop leak in cause i was getting about a 4-6" puddle every night. Now just down to a drip or 2 :)

I guess ill have to see what the actual oil pressure is before i make any decisions. I read another post on FSB that suggest it could be a starter motor going on, but not engaging, and to think of it, thats kinda the sound it could be, that and the starter is getting a little weak, and that would definately cause it LOL. ill let ya know :). How's the 250 running?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
it's tough to diagnose without hearing the noise. the lucas additive is bringing your oil pressure up so that should have nothing to do with any noises.

was the noise there before the seafoaming?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. It's not all the time, only once in a while, i rev it a bit and it goes away. but i i leave it idling you can hear it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it sounds sorta like a power steering pump whine when it does it, but a bit louder, and pretty sure it's coming from the pan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take the belts off then start it up and that will tell you whether its your motor or water pump,alt, or power steering pump.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a try, its so sporadic though, i'm not sure if it will help heh. Guess it's worth a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, just went to lordco, they have the auto pro triple gauage Oil Press/Coolant Temp/Voltage on sale right now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well got my gauges installed today :). Got a mechanical oil pressure, temp and it had an ammeter as well. I did the water and oil, i'm still undecided if im going to hook up the ammeter, i may get a volt meter to put in there instead, not entirely interested in purchasing and running 6ga wire in and outta the cab heh.

The gauges installed. Required only a small mod to the dash to allow the capillary tube and nylon tube thru. I picked a spot above the steering column for my holes in the firewall, and then routed them up behind the dash in, it went petty well.

So i started it up, and aha got 47PSI cold, looking good. I let it warm up, and verified the temp gauge is working, the new thermostat is working, and the engine sits nicely at idle at around 190. Once warmed the oil pressure drops to about 25psi, and does exhibit about 10psi per 1000rpm in the quick testing i did. I'll have to road test it tomorrow, and verify what my oil pressure is at highway speeds. The question is, are those numbers looking good so far? I definately still have an oil leak somewhere i need to track down, did an engine clean last week, and still seeing oil down the sides of the engine, im thinking its valve covers. What's the best way to verify that?

Cheers
Warren

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So went for a test drive today, when i started it cold, was sitting at about 45, then dropped to 30 or so when it hit 190F coolant temp. Once i took it for a drive, it dropped down to 5-10 at idle, that was with 5L of 10w30 and 1L of Lucas Stop Leak. I just sea foamed it, drove it for 10-15 min at 3k RPM on the freeway, then dropped the oil, and put 5L of 15w40 rotella 1 with 1L of Lucas Oil Stabilizer now, and its sitting at about 25psi hot idle, and goes up to 35-40 at 2000 rpm. I do have at least one oil leak somewhere I haven't been able to track down yet, thinking its probably valve cover gaskets or maybe intake manifold gaskets as its seeping down the sides of the engine. Now that I could verify pressure and coolant temp, I fixed the timing too, i had it about 7-8deg, put it back up to 10, and its running like a champl, just the oil pressure seems a bit low. From my reading the Ford Windsor blocks are notorious for low oil pressure. Knowing I do have a tired engine, I will start saving for a rebuild, or a used 351 to build out or something, any ideas based on these #'s how long she has left?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh also, no noticable low oil pressure engine noises. A small tick only heard when in the engine compartment at idle, coming from what sounds to be the drivers side bank.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Those numbers sound fine. My father in law has a 302 and if he doesn't put in a litre of lucas with his oil change, his oil light goes on when it is hot and sitting at idle in drive. He just makes sure he puts in a litre of lucas in when it gets changed and he's good to go. He's been doing this for years already and that truck just keeps on going. I replaced the rear main seal and pan gasket for him about 10 years ago and the mains were down to the brass then. We just pretended we didn't see that. Still running 10 years later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.