BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i come from a motorcycle background and as a rule NEVER pumped anything but chevron 94 {execpet ysr50/80}.

do u need high octaine gas in my v6 or am i waisting my money???

also what is to be said about:
-ethinol
-techrol
-and other stuff they put in??

my final question is what station should i be going to. shell, esso, chevron, petro, etc??

thx

------------------
email - [email protected]

-Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm also from a motorcycle background, I currently drive a ZX-11. And I run the LOWEST octane I can get away with. This rule applies to every gas engine ever made.
Unless called for by the manual, run 87,if it pings run 92 and so on.
I run 87 in my ninja, and I will make consistently more power on any dyno than a comparable bike running higher octane.
The lower octane ignites more readily, promoting faster burning and more power.
Higher octane fuel is harder to ignite and burns more "slowly", this is why it will prevent detonation.
I've always been amazed at how many bike enthuasiasts think this falicy is true.
Pouring expensive fuel into a low compression engine is a waste of money.
Even my 1100cc 12-1 engine tolerates the lower octane, but if I had pre-ignition I would switch to a higher octane.
My cruiser has such a low compression motor, it really doesn't care what it gets.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
faster burn isnt always better.
slower burn = an equal burn.
my 1996 zx6r ran like crap with 87 and so did my dr650 and all 2-strokes.

can i see one of your dyno charts for you zx11? and what is its compression.

------------------

-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a toy V6 and I run the cheap sh!# with no problem.

------------------
Love is like a snowmobile ride across the frozen tundra.
Then your ski doo flips pinning you underneath...
At night the Ice Weasels come!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My ZX-11 only has 11-1 compression, and it loves the 87 octane!
As for your 600 running like crap, who knows?
Maybe you were installing "performance" mods like a pipe or jet kit to make it run lousy.
The only thing lower octane will do as far as performance goes is make it pre-ignite, that's all.
Some big air cooled singles like higher octane because of the hot spots that tend to gather on the head and the crown of the piston.
My RZ 350 and RZ 500 ran on whatever mix and gas I gave them, as far as dirt bikes go, I'm unfamiliar with their habits.
Slower burn does equal a more controlled burn, at the expense of power though.
Now my buddys Blackbird does require higher octane to avoid detonation. It needs the higher octane to avoid pre-igniting the mix and causing engine damage, and this makes it run more efficiently, thus creating more power. But it does not need the higher octane because the higher the octane the more power you will get from a gallon of gas.
Gasoline has a 130 000 btu or so per gallon rating, the octane content has nothing to do with the amount of energy stored in a gallon of gas.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dp
i know exactly what you are saying, i spent more then enough time reading at bcit. i know the theory. BUT i find it hard to belive thet you would get MORE power out of 87 then 94 on your zx-11. i can belive that 94 is a waist of money {most engines do only need 87} and that you get the same power with low octane on your 11.

im a mechanic for kwasaki canada and ALL we work on is sport bikes, new zx-6/9/12, and some old stuff like the 11/kz. is there any way i can get a coppie of you dyno chart from your 11???? i think it might turn a few heads at the shop.

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think you may be missing the point here.
As you know, the faster the flame can spread through the combustion chamber, and the more violent the explosion of the fuel charge, the more efficient the engine becomes at using whatever air/fuel mix is dumped in. This is the whole point behind high energy ignition and spark gap. Even Suzuki in the early 80's got fantastic results with the TSCC head that promoted a swirling ragged mixture around a central plug design, an idea that is followed to this day in the heads of almost any modern superbike.
I'm not getting into the thermodynamics of combustion chambers here or intake and exhaust. I've done a lot of reading on this subject for over 20 years and as a tech with over 15 years experience I'm not gonna argue the issue. Even my FJ1200 with high comp pistons and aggresive cams needed only 87 on a day to day basis, at higher altitudes it ran a little warm, but nothing that required high octane. But if it needed it to control detonation I'd have put it in.
If you believe that more octane makes more power, that's fine . Lots of people do , some even buy octane boost and dump it in and figure there adding power.
If you ever read any article, anywhere, that suggests this is true, let me know, because you should know as a tech that an engine requires the LEAST amount of octane to prevent detonation, and that's all.
Anything more is a waste.

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
One more thing, I said I will make more power on any dyno than an identical bike on higher octane. I did not say that I've pulled dyno runs on my 98 11 to prove it.
Others however have proved it, and its most noticable at the lower rpm's , around 4 to 6 grand, and it's more noticable on the larger engines.

------------------

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"more octane makes more power." i never said that. i was asking, and from my experence every bike i have owned ran like **** at high and mid rpm with 87.

so it would be safe to say {in your opinion}
87 and 94 will give the same power in my v6 but 94 just costs more?

thx

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it's FI and not a high-compression engine, run the cheap stuff. You won't notice the difference-except in your wallet.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
1,269 Posts
Look in your manual for your Toy. It will say run 87 octane. Then go down to the gas station and put 87 octane in. That's what it's designed to run on.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
In my humble opinion, your truck will run the same with the more expensive fuel.
And it will cost more to fill it up, so run 87 for a cheaper fill.

------------------

·
Registered
56 Posts
so much rage and anger. must be the volitile nature of the topic
. on a personal note I have found no increase in power between fuels. in any of my vehicles only thing I found was that the higher octane stuff burnt faster in my miata could have just been a heavy foot. I think that it is more of a psychological thing if you think higher octane is going to give you more power or the other way around, then your seat-of-the-pants'o'mometer will tell you what you want to hear. so to quote chief Clancy Wiggum "If it feels good, do it".

------------------
80/82/83 minipickup. chev350, th350, toyota t-case. lock-rite front, lincoln in the back. 2 inch body lift, re-arched springs, rancho 5000's. dual exhaust, homemade box, dual tanks 33's since dp took my 35's, for now.oh yeah and four rusty rims.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well im going to go with 87 from now on. im used to a 8-14L tank that lasts 300+km. now i have a 60L {is it 60??}tank that lasts 280-km. im not rich......i wish i where. so for now im on the cheap **** and im going to try to be a little less heavy on the foot.

thx for the input/ideas/opinions

now it is time to go fab up some kind of raised exaust. i riped off {on a big rock} everything behind the cat converter last night. now it sounds like i have a v8.

------------------

G

·
This may sound strange, but the higher octane fuel will allow a poorly tuned vehicle to run better. My 87 Dodge 1/2 ton had a bad carb, and unfortunately I needed to use the higher octane fuel just to maintain some semblance of highway power and speed. I dont know what you folks have heard, but that pinging you hear with lower octane fuel is detonation, which is pre ignition of fuel. That robs power from your engine. Nuff said.

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Jon, I like the idea of the "seat of your pants o-mometer".
But when you start modifying that Bandit 1200 of yours lets refer to it as the "Jonnymometer"!!!

And I agree with chief Wiggum on this one.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dp (edited March 07, 2002).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Compression Octane Number
Ratio Requirement
5:1 ------------- 72

6:1 81

7:1 ------------- 87

8:1 92

9:1 ------------- 96

10:1 100

11:1 ------------ 104

For a typical carburetted engine, saw it on the web

[This message has been edited by Mrdiesel (edited March 07, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mrdiesel (edited March 07, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
I had a Honda Civic with 11:1 that loved the revs on 87 pump gas. Go figure.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
yeah arnt the 22re's 9.3-1 compression adn run on 87? doesnt sound right to me!

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

1 - 20 of 23 Posts