Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again, is this old news ?

SVABC / ICBC Definition

-----------------------------

What is a Modified Motor Vehicle

A modified motor vehicle is defined as:

a motor vehicle of a manufacturer's make that has been altered by someone other than a manufacturer of motor vehciles so that
a) the body of the motor vehicle resembles, but is no longer identical in appearance to, the original body of the vehicle, or
b) one or more of the following differs from the manufacturer's available original equipment options for the model year of the vehicle:

i) chassis
ii) power train
iii) steering and braking mechanical components

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I haven't heard of this before, I'm wondering when notifying ICBC that your vehicle is altered has become a legal requirement?

Judging by the criteria I can off the top of my head think of a dozen 4x4's that will need to make this declaration to ICBC.

It's great that ICBC is so good at getting this info out to the public:angry NOT!

·
Registered
136 Posts
from what i read, it seems like you have to declare that if it is a homebrew or "rebuilt" salvage.. etc....

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Axle swaps, crossover steering, motor swaps?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh boy, it sounds like I would have to register my 1978 CJ as a 1992 model as the body is off a 92 YJ. I wonder if that would make it harder to pass aircare and if you would be expected to have the same polution control on the motor that the 92's came with. Living on the island I don't have to worry about aircare but down the road you never know. My 78 only has one VIN as the windshield frame was replaced years ago, sounds like I'll have to apply for a new VIN.

·
Registered
136 Posts
everyone is gonna get their panties in a knot,.. just drive it like you stole it and plead ignorance.. ;)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
KO said:
Oh boy, it sounds like I would have to register my 1978 CJ as a 1992 model as the body is off a 92 YJ. I wonder if that would make it harder to pass aircare and if you would be expected to have the same polution control on the motor that the 92's came with. Living on the island I don't have to worry about aircare but down the road you never know. My 78 only has one VIN as the windshield frame was replaced years ago, sounds like I'll have to apply for a new VIN.
Aircare goes by the engine...not the VIN. If it is the 1978 CJ engine, you will have to pass as that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Goof said:

Aircare goes by the engine...not the VIN. If it is the 1978 CJ engine, you will have to pass as that.
I'm sure that I've read someplace that you can only swap in an engine that is the same year or newer then the vehicle that it's going into. This might have been an american state law, I've been doing alot of reading lately.
:read
I'll post more if I can find it again.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
VI Regs and motor swaps...

I'm sure that I've read someplace that you can only swap in an engine that is the same year or newer then the vehicle that it's going into.
Goof, you want to handle this one or should I?

This is not a hard fast rule. It is a "rule of thumb" or "good idea" to make things "easy" to pass AirCare. To pass, your vehicle must:

a) Have ALL of the emissions equipment that came on it from the factory for the model year of the vehicle (i.e. if it had a cat, the new motor needs a cat, if it had a charcoal canister, the new motor needs to have a canister).

b) Not exceed the maximum standards as set for the vehicle year and engine type for both the idle and rolling tests.

I'll use an example to illustrate what this means. If you own a '84 toy mini truck and want to swap in a 350, for Aircare purposes your truck would be tested against the standards for a '84 350. So swapping to something of the same year or newer is the easiest way to make your vehicle pass, since you are guaranteed to meet requirement "a" if you've retained all of th OEM emissions parts. Requirement "b" will be met if all of those parts as well as the internal condition of your motor are in what AirCare considers a good state of repair given how old you vehicle is (except Cats, Mufflers, Airfilters etc. since they are replaceable with what is deemed "little" cost). With that said you could swap in a 78 350 into a 84 toy mini truck but you be required to ensure that the above metioned criteria are met for the MODEL YEAR of the vehicle.

Does anybody know where I can get a copy (hard or electronic of the MV regs (not the legislation but the actual rules)? I need to check out a few things...

:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
That's not what I was told...

I called AirCare before I planned out my YJ's engine swap, and this is what I was told:

1) The donor engine must be the same age or newer than your vehicle. Older engines cannot be swapped in, period.

2) You must use all the emissions equipment that was connected to the donor engine. I was told it was okay to run a single exhaust (& single cat) even though my donor engine was daul, though.

3) The vehicle that the donor engine comes from must be of the same weight class or lighter than your vehicle. That means no truck engines swapped into SWB Jeeps or Samis, for example.

This is very different from what you listed, Shogunator. Where did your info come from? Maybe things have changed since I was told the above (2-3 years ago), but I would expect the rules would get tougher, not more relaxed. Maybe your rules apply to factory engines, and mine are just for engine swaps?

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had once heard that if you did an engine swap that the vehicle would always be tested (assuming that it has been throught the aircare system) as per the original spec. Under this guideline for instance you could not do a diesel swap into a vehicle that had been through Aircare as a gas pot.

I think that I would always take advice on government regulations given on this or any other board with a grain of salt. As would I take the same advice given by word of mouth from a government agent or representative. In the old days if you could not get a vehicle registerd at a certain MOT office you simply went to different offices until you got it through. If the rules could make or break your project I would get a copy in writing of the regulations. You still may have to fight with an agent as they all seem to have a different interpretation of the rules but at least this way you mayhave a change at some higher lever if it comes to that.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Re: That's not what I was told...

cwate said:
Maybe things have changed since I was told the above (2-3 years ago), but I would expect the rules would get tougher, not more relaxed. Maybe your rules apply to factory engines, and mine are just for engine swaps?
Chris

FWIW - I took my CJ through aircare last Friday. I've got an '82 CJ7 with an '88 Suburban TBI motor. For the pervious Aircare inspection I had a '78 Camaro motor in the Jeep. They checked the gas cap and waved the mirror under the Jeep. We then had a lengthy discussion over my mufflers (or catalytic convertors as they were determined to call them). I ended up dragging the supervisor over and he agreed they were muflers :rolleyes:

Point is - nobody questioned what I had under the hood. At no point did they open the hood or question what motor was there. All I needed to do was pass the sniffer test for an '82 CJ7.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Id have to say dont bother with air care. I wont go into detailes how to get around it because it was already difficult enough for me to do, and will be even more difficult next time if lots of people are doing it. All i can say is it was a good idea to ask the insurance agent to call ICBC and confirm that i couldnt do what i was trying to. Guess what? ICBC said yes even though it was against the regulations as i had not had my truck inspected. I figure since im paying more for insurance now it works in their favor. I like this option to be reserved for poor folk like myself who sometimes cant get their vehicle to pass aircare before their insurance expires. In my case it was because the truck was never aircared and i did a Cleatus(tm) rebuild, so it was too fresh to pass (probably). My car was insured at my dads adress in Penticton. Cheap as hell, no questions asked.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
calling AirCare

Cwate,
I called aircare and they told me what I wrote (called last year). I really don't see what the difference is between what you've said and what I've said other than the point on a "truck" engine in a car. They've given you the "what works best" formula to engine swaps and AirCare. My point was that you have to comply with the standards of the model year of the vehicle in terms of emmisions equipment (from both an induction/fuel delivery end and the exhaust side of things). If the block and heads were older they'd have no idea, if you've got all of the equipment from the same year (or newer) as the Model year of your vehicle. I'm saying a 78 350 and 84 350 aren't that different. It's what you bolt to it in terms of induction / emmisions equipment that is going to make the difference. What in the end determines a pass or fail is the readings from the sniffer. None of those guys at AirCare could tell you the difference between a pop can painted black and a charcoal canister.

FWIW, I swapped in a MPFI motor into a carbed vehicle. They had no idea what they were looking at they thought it should look that way (even though it was a Front wheel drive motor into a rear wheel drive truck). The readings were excellent so they were happy.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
FWIW four years ago when I took my 69 Ford F100 through aircare I happen to get a Ford freak who knew what year my truck was by looking at it.
He asked me what engine was in it, just cause he was curious. He then told me he changed my engine size in his computer from 5.8 liter to 5.0 liter but said it wouldnt make any difference.

So aparently its as easy as pushing a couple buttons for aircare to change your engine size in ICBC's database.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wade shestaka said:
My car was insured at my dads adress in Penticton. Cheap as hell, no questions asked.
If you're not living where the vehicle is insured you are wide open to be hung out to dry should the unthinkable happen. Just ask the SOB that T-boned me 9 years ago. ICBC took good care of me, then they took care of him:eek:, he'll be paying for a long time yet. It's tempting, my folks live up there too and it would be a easy as pie to pull it off, I get back up there 8-10 times a year, but even a minor at-fault accident and an adjuster of average intelligence could make life pretty miserable for you. That's not even mentioning the penalties for de-frauding ICBC.

Not meant to flame, I just wouldn't want to see anyone go through that hell.

·
Registered
296 Posts
wade shestaka said:
Id have to say dont bother with air care. I wont go into detailes how to get around it because it was already difficult enough for me to do, and will be even more difficult next time if lots of people are doing it. All i can say is it was a good idea to ask the insurance agent to call ICBC and confirm that i couldnt do what i was trying to. Guess what? ICBC said yes even though it was against the regulations as i had not had my truck inspected. I figure since im paying more for insurance now it works in their favor. I like this option to be reserved for poor folk like myself who sometimes cant get their vehicle to pass aircare before their insurance expires. In my case it was because the truck was never aircared and i did a Cleatus(tm) rebuild, so it was too fresh to pass (probably). My car was insured at my dads adress in Penticton. Cheap as hell, no questions asked.
You prob did what you did with a 3/4 tonne, and this will get harder... Yuo'd be ok with a 1 tonne for now.....

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Re: VI Regs and motor swaps...

Shogunator said:

Does anybody know where I can get a copy (hard or electronic of the MV regs (not the legislation but the actual rules)? I need to check out a few things...

:D
The Regs are now posted on the Queen's Printer's site:

"All" the Regs (scroll down to the Motor Vehicle Act):
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/list_statreg.htm#tab_m

Regs to the Motor Vehicle Act:
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58-00.htm

Be aware that not all motor vehicle issues are necessarily covered by the Provincial legislation. Supply of motor vehicles to Canada, and safety issues of "national import" will be convered under Federal legislation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts