BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about the zuks so I was just wondering what to look for when buying, woes, prices and just general info? I might sell my jeep and buy a small car and a zuki just for wheelin.
Thank you very much.

------------------
90 xj Limited

·
Registered
431 Posts
'lo,

I guess the most important thing to have in mind when you buy is what do you want to do with the 'zuk. A stock samurai, IMHO, is pretty expensive. As with anything else, if you shop around you can get a good deal on a slightly modded one. If you want to do your own project, there's no point in buying something you're just gonna get rid of (i.e. if you're gonna lift, who cares what condition the current tires/shocks are in).

If you have good tires, a stock sami will go anywhere, it'll go there slowly, but it'll get there.

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For buying:
It sounds like you want a zuke for trail duty only. So I guess you first have to ask yourself how mechanically competent you are and how much time you're willing to spend building your rig. You should probably look for a good strong running sami; the body, etc isn't going to be as much of a concern if you're going to abuse it offroad anyway. David has some good points about buying a slightly modded one.

As for Pros:
- can be inexpensive to buy and build
- tons of buildup information on the 'net
- small and light so they go everywhere
- a moderate lift and tires is cheap and will take you 80% of the places in the lower mainland, add a locker or two and a rockcrawler t-case and you're flying
- on summer days you can take the top and doors off, and fold the windshield down
- light enough to tow behind almost anything
- cheap on gas

And Cons:
- some people think sami's are made of gold and are asking over $2K for a stock one, they were only $6-7K new.
- they're cheap so everyone and their dog has one
- they're not fast

I have a website that shows some of the buildup stuff we did on our zuke (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/3574) but it hasn't been updated for a long time.
Also, check out www.izook.com for quite a bit of good info.

HTH,
Robin.

[This message has been edited by schmiot (edited May 29, 2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts