BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going back to the oil rigs this fall and by christmas i'm either buying a TJ or an XJ. I drove a 98 XJ sport today and i think i made up my mind. The truck has 235's I think, looks kinda boring, i was thinking a 4in full spring lift, 1.5in spacer and shackle, and 31's, will this fit and work, i don't want to have some useless truck with oversized tires that bottoms out on speed bumps. Does anybody have a picture of a new XJ 97 or newer with this setup? I know i will need a SYE and possibly a shim for these angles, but will i need to extend my drive shaft?? If so how big can i go without extending? I was also thinking sway bar disconnects for sure, gears, what ratio for 31's?, MSD ignition, K&N filter, header and exhaust is this a good setup for a jeep? i know it'd be kick*** on a Toyota. Thanks for any help, would really like to see a truck with the susp and tires

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Chris, kinda stuck on the XJ??? just so nice to drive, look real good with my snowboard/bike rack, good mileage, carry 5 comfortably, well 4, maybe 5?? Jeepsunlimited probably has a few pics eh?

·
Registered
129 Posts
First your new Jeep will kick ass on Toys.

Second, I'd get a 2door if I was in your shoes, just because you can cut way more fender off of it (dead weight), and fit bigger tires or have better flex.

Third, does the XJ come in convertable?
No(YJ yes).

Yeah OK my opinion IS biased.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Talk to WhistlerXJ. He's up here and has a ~5" susp. lift on his. ( I appreciate guys who own cherokees and have the balls to mod them up. go for it. )

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the sad thing is the most action this XJ will see is a bad road to the ski hill;) , this truck is being built for the sole purpose of going to school and looking good. I also hope to use it to pull around the CJ i will be building as soon as next spring comes. I figure a trail only rig would make more sense as i can tear it apart for more than 1 day at a time, roll it over and say "well i guess i'll fix it as i can", not panic because now how am i going to get to work and school? I think it'll look cool to have my new XJ lifted slightly and looking cool with add ons that help appearance, towing around my CJ with swampers, hacked out fenders and oversized lift on a trailer to and from my destinations, i will also save on insurance claims as i won't insure the trail rig for anything but storage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mudhucker said:
Yeah the sad thing is the most action this XJ will see is a bad road to the ski hill;) , this truck is being built for the sole purpose of going to school and looking good.

so your going to build a poser!! booo!! but really if thats all you want then i would go with a 3" lift and 31's. it will look alright and you wont run into any problems.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why have 2 trail ready rigs or 1 daily driver/off roader, when i have the option of having a new truck that looks nice and have an old CJ7 to 4x4 with and modify as i can afford to, therefore building a real 4x4 that has no other purpose than off roading?? This way i will also be able to have an army green jeep to 4x4 and a nice shiny truck to drive to and from school;) Thanks Chris i priced out a 3in spring lift, 1in spacer, and a longer rear shackle which will give me about 4 combined and then i will be running 31in MT/R's, should look pretty with the roof rack, off road lights, stereo, but no matter what it's gonna have black spokes, they're my favorite rim and cheap cheap cheap;) :D

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
FYI, my friend is selling his Cherokee (I forget what year):

He restores cars as a hobby but he bought this Cherokee in mint condition so he's only done upgrades to it. Right now it's got a D44 rear with an Ox Locker, 4:1 tcase gears, 4.10 diff gears, 31" Geolanders, a winch, front/rear custom bumpers, custom skid plates and rocker guards, 3" lift and SYE kit (w CV shaft). He's asking $16,000.

It's not his daily driver, either.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a sweet truck, but i want a new body style one with painted flares and all options available, that's why i'm waiting til around christmas for my purchase. As for now i'm asking alot of questions and trying to figure out how much $$$ I'm going to need to have the truck where i want it and how many months of damn alberta weather i have to deal with to get it. As for moving track bars and everything i priced out a pro comp kit that comes complete with everything longer track bars, brake hoses, springs shocks?? everything i would need to do the lift then i was told for the 3-4in lift i may need a SYE, quick disconnects and maybe gears for the 31in tires and i'll be good to go and ready to tow my trail truck, while sitting on an extended warranty and having no worries:D Kinda funy how it's about 6-8 months away til i get my XJ yet i'm fully stoked already:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
With 31's you don't need to regear, but if your taking on a lot of hills it would be a good idea. I've got 31's, a slowing engine, and a 5spd, and flew along the coquilhala. And going to whistler is fine too, i just gear down. But if i were you, i'd go with 3" lift and 31's. Its a nice combo and makes your XJ very capable. I don't know what your money situation is like, but after those two things, i'd regear to 4.10's and possibly a rear locker. Also bumpers and skids aren't a bad idea either. Engine mods, i've got a K&N air filter and a cat back dynomax exhaust. And between those two, i've felt some noticeable horsepower gain. So those two things, and a header would make it sound nice and give you even more horsepower.
Jordan

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Mine:

Barry's:

Moving from 3" to 4+" on a '98 gets potentially expensive. You start to get into adjustable (or longer) control arms, longer trackbar, SYE etc.

Even a 3" lift might be pushing an NP242 t-case design with the low pinion 8.25 rear axle - ie: Chris' suggestion of at least a t-case drop is almost a certainty.

If you really just want a tow vehicle, then stay at 3" of lift and extend the front bumpstops a tad (hockey pucks or after-market longer bumpstops). The 31x10.5's on stock wheels will rub slightly on the LCA's, and will also contact the inside of the front fender wells. If you leave your anti-sway bars on then it'll be minimal - but any off-roading and you'll definitely feel the "rub" - better to have the bumpstops to keep the tires off the fenders.

You shouldn't need to re-gear with an auto (3.55's).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just what i wanted to hear, easy, cheap mods for a good look and good combo for towing. Your 98 XJ looks sweet, something about the old fenders i really don't like but your friends is pretty nice anyway. How noticeable were the mods as far as the cost, was it worth it?? do you think adding an msd ignition(complete kit) would help any on an xj??

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Mudhucker said:
How noticeable were the mods as far as the cost, was it worth it?? do you think adding an msd ignition(complete kit) would help any on an xj??
It's worth it if you go off-road. If you're just buying something for "looks", then get an Xterra and add a couple of inches to it to fit 32's. I'm not sure of their towing capacity though.

The 4.0l straight six has plenty of HP and torque OEM. You don't really need after-market ignition kits, air-intakes, a header (they come OEM with a "header" of sorts) etc etc. Of course, if you're into the thing "looking pretty", you may want to change the stock exhaust for increased presence - a cat-back kit with a bubbly-sounding muffler is all the rage. The I-6 can have a pleasant, throaty growl with the right exhaust - just don't go too big and lose the bottom-end torque (you need the back-pressure).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cool, thanks for the tips, I think i may just make this into a semi show truck, I think it'd look pretty cool to take ti to car shows and actually have a real rockcrawlig CJ on a trailer behind it or right beside it, possibly with matching stickers?? paint, lots of ideas just time to do it and get all the money i need:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
my 98 with 4.5" ran a 1" tcase drop w/ no vibes. had a new track bar, upper and lowers, and ripped my flares out with 32's. since gone to 6", but needed new brake lines, and a tom woods sye... sweet. and i ditched the swaybars completely. got the rusty's serious trail 6" military wrap leafs... they're std leafs suck. good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
here's my friends truck..VERY FLEXY.......it's awsome......it's a 2000...soon a have onboard computer(gps, and other stuff..) tires are 32's and it is a 4inch(rubicon i believe)great truck..it has open diffs but he's waiting till the rubicon's come out, then he's gonna buy a set of axle's(i believe)
btw..sorry bout the size..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How'd you rip your flares off?? Crazy flexing?? This is going to be a street truck, 4wd to the ski hill and camping only, i will build my cj to flex it up like those trucks and do any real 4x4ing. Sweet pics what are the stats on that truck as far as lift and mods?? Wouldn't happen to know the color would you?? That's the exact color i want for my truck. I take it the flares have been removed for purpose reasons??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.