BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what locker should i get for my 1988 v6 pickup?

and how much give do they have?
will it burn my rr tires out quickly if am on the highway?
will the outside tire spin faster?
does a locker make the rr end like a solid axle?

------------------
email me at [email protected]

Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited February 25, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
Answers in numerical order:

1) Lockers can be expensive. If you have the cash get a full blown Detroit soft locker or a selectable locker such as an ARB. If you're looking for something a bit cheaper go with a Detroit EZ-Locker. I tend to stay away from the Powertrax Lock-right lockers because they are made from aluminum, while the EZ-Locker is made from spun steel.

2) It depends on the quality of locker you get.

3) No, but it will have different driving characteristics than an open diff.

4) Unless you get a spool, yes.

5) Your rear end is a solid axle. If you meant a spool, most lockers ratchet when you turn to allow the outside tire to spin faster than the inside. Selectable lockers (which are actually spools) such as a Toyota electric locker or an ARB air locker will not allow your tires to spin when locked in, but that's why you can turn them off for pavement use.

Hope this helps!

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Pete (edited February 25, 2002).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
"I tend to stay away from the Powertrax Lock-right lockers because they are made from aluminum, while the EZ-Locker is made from spun steel."

I think you might have this backwards. Lock-rite is made from steel and the Detroit is made from a softer metal, thats why the lock-rite has no max tire size stipulation in the warranty.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lock-Right owners manual says " The drivers and coupler are made from carbon steel aircraft alloy and are heat-treated for toughness and durability."

·
1,269 Posts
Aiee! I'm no metal expert (as you guys obviously just figured out), a buddy of mine who's a mechanic told me this. He swore the Lock-Right they installed in my buddy's F-150 was aluminum, and I have heard several times there's a max-tire size thing in the warranty. Looks like I'm going to have to look into this. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

------------------

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the words of Metallica... Its electric

Go with the toy electric locker, because unlike the ARB(nice but expensive)if you snag the control wire on a stick, you can still engage and disengage with a vice grip... To quote others on this board, "thats just my .02".

------------------
Love is like a snowmobile ride across the frozen tundra.
Then your ski doo flips pinning you underneath...
At night the Ice Weasels come!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for the help and i think im going to get a locker not spool{s}.

-how does a locker stop one tire from spining endlessly in the drit but let the outside one spin faster on the highway? {not electoninc/air style}

-does each wheel act like a lrg ratchet head. both will spin at speed "X" unless one has more forword speed on it form the road, in that case free wheeling and power primarely goin to the inside wheel not the outside like a stock rr end?

-and in the dirt does the ratchet grab the normaly "dead wheel"{not moving} because ther is no forword speed on it?

-for now should i assume that the Detroit EZ-Locker and the Powertrax Lock-right locker are both somekindof high end steel? doesnt seem like aluminum would last too long.

-what prices am i looking at for the ez-locker or the lock-right{parts only}?

oh ya when i said "solid rr axle" i ment like a go-cart {both tires spin at exactly the same speed} im quite aware that the rr end of my yota doesnt have an independent dirvetrain
thx again

------------------
email - [email protected]

-Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited February 26, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
Sorry I was just clarifying that thing about the rear end there. I also talked to my buddy's again tonight and they swear that the Lock-right was aluminum and the Detroit is steel. You guys sound very knowledgeable, and I will admit that I'm no expert on lockers, but I'll trust them 100%. The max tire size stipulation, in my opinion, exists because guys with big tires generally do bigger wheeling and therefore are more prone to break parts. No where in my owners manual does it say what metal the locker is made from.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts