BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm going to the jamboree then through Van to Victoria...What do you guys think I should grab while I'm there...I'm thinking lift, tuffy console and a front bumper, 1 inch body lift...

I want to stay away from lockers cause I got the 35c in my 97 sahara (I think) so I want to wait on the locker till I swap the axles...

What are you guys thinking I should grab for the Tj on my once a year trek to NSOR...

Any nsor staff on here, your opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm a on a time restraint slightly.--

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah I guess that would help...

1997 Sahara
K&N FIPK gen II
Optima Yellow top
235 75/r15 (That's a 29 inch, no??)
Aurora spark plug wires
Alpine cda 7894 deck
eclipse 5 1/4"
sony 4x6

I'm thinking either a bull bar, or that other new brand NSOR is carrying that Yasu put on his jeep..

Considering a lift, but I'm really concerned for my mileage since this is my daily driver but I'm thinking RE or Skyjacker

I'd like either a 2.5" with 31's or a 4" with 33's but not sure what kind of mileage loss I'd ve looking at

I'll be coming down after the Jamboree in Penticton to buy some mods and will have a fair chunk of change...

TIA

·
Registered
192 Posts
4" with 33's.

If you need to ask about mileage, then why are you driving a Jeep? It's basically a sail with two driveshafts and four tires anyways.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hey copeland, looks like your ready to get yourself some serious gear :) Let us know what you're willing to spend and I'm sure the rest of us TJ guys will chime in with some info!

In my opinion, all the bumpers available on the market are too damn expensive! Bull bars are over a grand and those serious metal bumpers at nsor are sold for $768 list, last time I checked. The factory TJ bumper is actually a lot better than you think, it doesn't look too bad, it has room to accomodate anything you'd want to add and it's a nice hi-lift jacking point. For the money you'd spend on a bumper like the ones you said, you could buy much more useful stuff.

After looking at a lot of lift kits for the TJ, I find that rubicon kits come the most complete. You get everything you'll need included in the package, which is probably why they tend to cost more than any other manufacturer lift. If I was in your shoes, I would purchase a rubicon express 3.5" kit (reported to be taller than 3.5", clears 33 inch tires nicely) and depending on your budget, I would upgrade to the rubicon express long arm kit. This will keep your jeep riding comfortably and increase its upward crawling ability.

As far as mileage goes, I was initially shocked with how poor I thought my mileage was after lifting my Jeep. The problem was not really the tire size with poor gearing, it was my lack of shifting compensation. It takes a while to get used to driving again after lifting, but once you do, your mileage will return to a pretty decent number. If you go to 33" tires, you'll want at least 3.73 gears, many people go with 4.10's, but I think 4.10's are more on the power end of the spectrum and less on the economical side. You can probably improve your mileage a little with a good exhaust seeing as you've already got a K&N, I know people with Borla's on their Jeeps and they are completely satisfied with them, though the price can be a bit steep.

Lifting a TJ is very expensive, I just finished lifting mine and you can e-mail me for a price breakdown.

GOOD LUCK! :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
question...

i thought long arm kits ride like crap?...i mean they flex nice but the ride quality is crap....:confused:

allan

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Nope, long arm kits ride better on and off road. I haven't had a ride in one yet, but the companies say so and they're backed by the jeepers on JU :) Not sure where you got that info, who was your source?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
baby joe

thanks man,

I'd appreciate the price break down...I was going to buy a rear carrier and bumper but I can get one fabbed up with the design from jeepfabrication.com...maybe I will wait on the cosmetics and go for more drivetrain/engine/suspension while I'm down...I will have enough money, I've made sure to cover that before leaving on my great trek for the summer...

thanks for the response and look forward to more suggestions...

email me @

[email protected]

TIA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts