BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is mobil 1 worth the $20 for 5L????

what do you guys run and what filter do you use?
thx

------------------
**WANTED** used winch {any} and or a winch bumper for my 88 toyota pick-up
email - [email protected]

-Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like to use Penzoil cause they don't used recycled oil like a lot of other companies, and its modestly priced. Mobil 1 spends a lot on advertising[F1 races, commercials saying "Porsche's come equiped with mobil one"{say it with a brit accent}], therefore higher consumer cost. For filters, if you got the cash and you really love your truck you can't go wrong with heading down to your local toyota dealer and picking up a bunch of Toyota filters. I just stick with Frams. (Cheap and I always change the oil every 5000kms)

------------------
If it does'nt fit... wiggle it a bit

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think Mobil 1 is definatly the way to go! it's worth it.

------------------
91' Yoti with the Son of the Devil screaming at you from behind the wheel!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im at 238,000km isnt mobil 1 too "thin"? wont it sneek up past my oil rings and or valve guide seals?

thx

------------------
**WANTED** used winch {any} and or a winch bumper for my 88 toyota pick-up
email - [email protected]

-Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
193 Posts
GO out on the internet and do some research. Anyway, no mobile one is not too thin, remember you can always buy it with different viscosity. Basically the two top oils on the planet are Amsoil oil products and Mobile 1. Anyone who tells you that Mobile 1 is not a good oil and is just over prmoted hasn't really done any research. Mobile 1 makes some of the puriest oil with the best additive packages on the planet. Amsoil has been proven to be slightly better, but it is WAY more expensive than Mobile 1 and can be hard to find. If you are worried about an oil being too thin than grab 10W30 or 10W40 instead of 5W30 or somehting like that. Wether or not it is worth it is up to you. I have seen Toyota motors go 400,000+ Km on conventional 10W50 regularly changed. But some people like to have the best at all times. Basically the worst oils are Penzoil and Castrol....stay away from Castrol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I usually use Castrol RX super and it is fine
but i also use Esso 15-40 that i get from work but i am going to try Mobil Delvac 5-40 synthetic on my next change.

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Swepco?? I have heard good things about this oil.

Opinions?

Also, what gear oil should I use in my diffs, Xfer and Tranny? GL5 rated for diffs and GL4 for tranny and Xfer? I was told the syncros need GL4 as GL5 is too slick.

Thoughts?

------------------
Pony
90 4Runner 22RE 3" Body Lift 33's
And cool looking, inexpensive fender flares thanks to Greg's tip :)

"Nobody realizes that some people
expend tremendous energy
merely to be normal." ~ Albert Camus

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run Amsoil 5w30 w/ an Amsoil sdf-34 filter (on a Tacoma). I run the oil for 12000km and change the filter every 6000km.

From all of the oil analysis tests I have seen Mobil 1 and Amsoil are tops. Good synthetics use additives that swell seals to help prevent oil leaks.

Castrol GTX is supposed to be a good conventional oil. Just don't run Castrol synthetic.

As for filters, stay away from Fram. They really are not good filters. Purolater. Mobil 1 and Amsoil are all really good filters. Toyota filters made in Japan are good, but the ones made outside of Japan are not that great.

Originally posted by [email protected]:
is mobil 1 worth the $20 for 5L????

what do you guys run and what filter do you use?
thx

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited March 02, 2002).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dude Castrol 4x4 is good stuff, I always had good luck with it, and my last truck had a crap load more K's than your 238K and I always used it, and it burned nothin. But as they say, "thats just my .02."

------------------
Love is like a snowmobile ride across the frozen tundra.
Then your ski doo flips pinning you underneath...
At night the Ice Weasels come!

·
Registered
389 Posts
if moter is rebuilt with new gaskets use synthetic, best out there,but if moter not rebuilt with new gaskets,use mobil it verry good and is worth the price,,also depends on how hard you drive the moter if its hard look into additives too,but mobil is one of the best one out ther besides synthetic

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
Registered
389 Posts
oh and for oil filter ph8a fram is the same as the stock filter just holds a bit more oil and is cheeper

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
swepco is a cold cracked oil, it used long chain carbon chains instead of shorter heat cracked oil.

basically the heat they use to refine the oil does some damage to it swepco (looks purple ish) is a better quality but very pricey

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.