BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I just bought a 1987 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.2 I6, GM NV4500 5-speed transmission and NV249 transfer case. The jeep is missing the whole shifter assembly for the transfer case. I have no clue as to what was originally in the vehicle and I don't know what will fit.

Can anyone help? I'm short on cash so I don't want to be experimenting to see what will fit.

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I did some homework on your t-case, but I'm not sure what kind of shifter you could use.... How long is an NV249 in comparison to an NV231? I'm just curious what your rear driveshaft angle and length are like.

Here's some stuff you may or may not know about your T-Case:
-You may have scored and picked up an NV249OD, which is an On Demand t-case used in Grand Cherokees and is stronger than an NV249 and NV231.
-Operating Ranges: 4WD High; Neutral, 4WD Low, Locked
-Low Range ratio: 2.72:1
-Center Differential Type: Viscous coupling w/ low lock
-Torque Split, F/R: Variable (0-100%)

Seeing as it's found on a Grand Cherokee, maybe you should check Gary's autowrecking or any other jeep wrecker for some Grand Cherokee shifters?

Good luck and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Most t-case linkages have a pivot located on the body of the transmission or on the adaptor between the tranny & t-case. The NV4500 and NVG249 are not stock components (we wish! :eek: ); a previous owner has installed them custom. From the sounds of it, they didn't complete the job.

Any chance that t-case is electronically controlled? If so, then you're looking at installing a switch or two, and no linkages required. Otherwise you'll have to fabricate a custom linkage & shifter from scratch. This may involve cutting some of the sheetmetal around the shifter opening, depending on how it all works out.

The easiest place for you to start will be to find a factory shifter for your t-case. Spend some time hunting online for what vehicles had the 249 case stock, and then hit the local wrecking yards. Hopefully there'll be a way to make the shifter work in your Jeep without too much trouble.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. The transfer appears to be a 249J. There's a label on the top and that's what is printed on it.

Joe's correct regarding what it came out of. I did some research and found the same info. It is from a Grand Cherokee.

I guess I'll hit the junk yards and see if I can find one and hope it will work with minimal modifications.

Chris - It's not an electric transfer. There is a lever that is shifted to make it work.

Thanks!
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts