BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what size tire
a ford 8.8 rear end will handle without breackage. I was thinking of changing my axles out but now I am contiplating on keeping the TTB and 8.8 ,so as to keep a good ride quality.

------------------
77 F250 w/35 BFG MT
88 Bronco Eddie Bauer w31 Big O MT's

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Depends on the driver mostly. With enough stupid pedal use, you can break anything.
I would assume this is in your Bronco, so it would be the 31 spline. 33s and 35s are common to see on these trucks. And really, do you need to go any bigger than that? If you want bigger tires and bigger high HP motor, 1 ton axles are the only way to go.
So basically it depends...

Wes

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at either putting on Supper swampers of either 36 or 35. I know I do not need any bigger than this for over all good fourwheeling, but I was originally looking at 38's.

------------------
77 F250 w/35 BFG MT
88 Bronco Eddie Bauer w31 Big O MT's

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Since your Bronco has a TTB front, I would be more concerned with what the 36" swampers would do to it rather than the 8.8.
Besides, if the 8.8 breaks, getting a 9" cheap is easy and is almost a bolt in. Fixing the ttb on the otherhand...

Wes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive got 39.5 swampers on my F 150`s 8.8 and its locked solid (welded) ive got a solid dana 44 front. Ill put it this way, I broke my 18th front axle shaft a few weeks ago. Ive bent 2 front housings, tore off 2 steering knuckles, split 3 transfer cases in half, and on my seccond body, twisted 2 rear drive shafts in 2, and the only problem ive had is when I broke my last drive shaft I also broke the pinion yolk into a few pieces... Id say the 8.8 is a pretty tough diff and 36`` isnt a worry, I beat the truck like I stole it, I used to go up blue mountain in 2 wd and try the hard lines, just to see if I could , get bouncing..nothing, ive jumped it so hard ive broken windows, inner fenders popped out, bent rims. the 8.8 had been dependeble for me

·
Registered
898 Posts
An 8.8 will handle 35's easy. If the front is a TTB D44 (if its a TTB D35, it would be about as big as you'd want to go, but it would work...), it should be fine. Just keep a few spare U-joints handy, and make sure your ball joints are healthy, too (they're more likely to break or wear out...)

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
228 Posts
The big problem with the ttb's is the close proximity of the inner and outer bearings. Because they are close together, then tend to wear faster. I've heard rule of thumb...33's for the Dana35 and 35's for the Dana44. Hey if you break it then you know it's time for a solid Dana 60!

Cheers
Dale

------------------

1992 Ford Exploder
6" lift, solid Dana44, 33's

"Soccer mom's car on 'roids"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts