BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i was just thinkin about my goodyear m/t's (bored i guess)
anyways they are kinda lame as far as an all out mud tire,but they beat all-terrains,(easy folks with all terrains, just a general statment,not lookin for a fight)so i'm thinkin of switchin to a tsl bogger,but i noticed that the tire size is 35 12.5 15
it measures out to be 33 1/2 by 12 inch wide with 10 inches of pad on the ground, why do they (they being the tire companies)
say that the tire is a 35" mudder, and do all the companies over rate the tire size?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Inflate to maximum pressure and then remeasure them, I bet they will be taller. This is very common practise in tire business.
I am unsure why they do this!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, every tire company oversizes their tires. Interco, the company who makes Boggers, usually come closest to whats on the sidewall when measureed though. Most generic mud terrain 35's are more like 33's.

My 36 inch sx's were way more than one inch bigger than my generic 35 inch mud terrains.

Corey

·
Registered
82 Posts
tire size

Tire size is rated at tires at speed (so i've heard) when the tires are at speed they get quite a bit taller.

-Don

·
Registered
303 Posts
So this means that if i built my truck to fit 35" of tire, I could get what was labeled as a 36", or maybe a 37" and still fit them in my fenders?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tire sizes are rated by the mold that they are made in...they start out as 35's if they say 35 on the sidewall. Everything that happens after that is a variable. They shrink when cooling(obviously), they can be on different wheels, different inflation, different load on them, etc. However when a suspension company says their lift will clear 35's(example) they mean tires that are rated as 35's, not tires that are actually 35" tall. Measure your tires off the vehicle and you will find a substantial difference I'm sure. I don't know how 4-runnin is measuring his tires but Ive never seen a BFG that was the same height as what was on the sidewall...my 35" m/t measure about 33.5 on the truck. By the way I think 50 psi is way too much pressure unless you're hauling a camper or similar.... I run my bfg's at under 30 pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i jump it!
naw i haul 1500 lbs of water around in my bronco,50 psi is good for that
but then i drop the pressure for wheelin

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
dodge456 said:
I don't know how 4-runnin is measuring his tires but Ive never seen a BFG that was the same height as what was on the sidewall...my 35" m/t measure about 33.5 on the truck.
Well what happens if you squish them onto a 6" wide wheel vs. a 10" wide wheel?

·
Registered
282 Posts
don't know, mine are on 15x8's, again there are a lot of variables to consider, wheel width being another. I don't think they change too much on different wheel widths but I can't say for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts