BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am still looking for the cause of that sulfur stench in my exhaust, I found out that a malfuncitoning catalytic converter could be it. I go looking for the cat, and I can't find one. The vehicle just passed VI about six weeks ago, with the box for "Catalytic Converter" clearly marked as "P" (Passed). So am I allowed not to have one? Will that raise any issues with Aircare? And is could the fact that I don't have one account for the stench?

I read another reason for the rotten egg odour could be a malfuncioning EGR. Is that the diaphragm right behind the carburator, with the throttle cable spring attached to its mount? And how should it operate?

The final reason for the smell might be a rich mixture. How do I adjust the fuel/air mixture on my carb?
Thanks for any advice you could give me.
Julius

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you got carpet check if its wet. Vehicles 87 and prior do not require a Cat. That is why you passed. Aircare cannot penalize you for this. Try to run some premium fuel . To check that EGR is not carboned up. With engine cold push through hole on back of EGR and you shuold feel a 'diaphragm" move up and down.Also make sure the vaccumm line to this is working. Have you got old gas in there, has it been sitting for a long time? This is a possibility.;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts