BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a yj and right now i'm trying to find some info about what i should look out for and what to look for on these models. Also what kind of gas milage i can expect and how long do the engines, transmission, etc.. usually last, thanks for any info.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I were you I'd look for a '92-'95 YJ 6cyl. Because it's fuel injected and it doesn't have the peugot tranny ('87-'91,very bad). Look for the highest gear ratio possible (if you want to use it as a trail rig). Probably won't find a ratio higher than 3.73 or lower than 3.07, unless it has been changed by the previous owner. First choice-3.73, second-3.53 and so-on. Gas milage will be about 15mpg or so. It really depends.

Hope this helps a bit.

BTW--You're doing the right thing.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ

·
Silverback
100 Posts
Agreed.

Mine is a '95 and she runs excellent. I have friends with earlier '90s and late '80s ones, and the problems they have never end. I'm sure you can find a good one if you tried, but the later ones won't let you down. Go for the 4L for sure, don't even think about that one.

PS: when you finally get one, I have a chrome grill you can have for cheap!! Good luck.

------------------
-'95 YJ

[This message has been edited by Caboobies (edited December 31, 2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've owned a 1990 and a 1987.
I love the vehicles in general, but they are always in the shop with problems.
Mine anyways.

1992-1995 model suggested as well.

Oh yes - I cant stress this enough: Take it in and get it inspected before you buy!!!

Good luck..
If you have any questions - we are all here to try to help answer

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
First choice-3.73, second-3.53 and so-on. Gas milage will be about 15mpg or so. It really depends.
OptBlackNite, you're talking about US mpg, not Imperial mpg, right?

I'd also talk to the owner and ask him/her when they found the 4WD system to be really helpful. If they say they've been using it to drive in the rain on the pavement, I'd avoid that vehicle. Way too much stress on the driveline.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
158 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
OptBlackNite, you're talking about US mpg, not Imperial mpg, right?

...lars

Yes I do, sorry but I'm an
American
and I do everything is US standards. I forget sometimes that the majority of the people on this board are in Canada.

BTW--that's why it's stated mpg instead of kmg or kml, I'm not real sure what you guys use.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
BTW--that's why it's stated mpg instead of kmg or kml, I'm not real sure what you guys use.
Well, it depends partially on how old you are. Most of us "older guys" use mpg but using Imperial gallons. 1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US liquid gallons (or 1.032 US dry gallons). I measure travel distances in statute miles, heights in feet/inches, weight in pounds, but temperature in Celsius. Of course, our gas is priced by the litre. Meanwhile, in supermarkets, prices are listed in metric and Imperial (or is it also called SAE?) measurements. Fuel economy is measured in litres used per 100km although, as I said, many of us prefer to use mpg (Imperial). Weird, eh?

Oh yeah, on April 1, 2002, we will be switching to metric time. So, 10 hours per day, 10 decihours per hours, 100 centihours per hour, and 1000 millihours per hour. Should be a pretty straightforward switchover, not unlike the Euro currency switch that is occurring at midnight tonight in Europe. I mean, if the Europeans can make such a huge currency transition, I'm sure our time transition will also go smoothly. The company I work for has been running on both time systems for the past few months, as have many other large corporations, in anticipation of this switch.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
95 Posts
I personally can't wait for the official change over. We have been using the new metric time here in the Okanagan for a couple of months now its great. Its about time everyone else caught up.

------------------
Chicks that dig Cruisers usually think they're Jeeps!
Jeepin Offroad

·
Registered
3 Posts
i would say if you have the money go for a 4.0 from 91+.

I have an 88 4cyl that runs great though, with 116k miles...new clutch a few 1k's ago.

be sure to test the 4wd to make sure its working. check for the usual leaks and what not, oil around the heads, etc.

i would stay away from 87's as they have a bunch of different parts...everything from transfer case to mirror and softop differences.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, what everybody else said. Stay away from the peugeot tranny, and stay away from carburators. With a carb, how your vehicle runs will be affected by the weather, as well as the phase of the moon combined with the effects of the gravitational pull of jupiter. In other words, it SUCKS.

greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to step up to the plate in defense of older Yjs.

Firstly I agree that newer models have desirable upgrades over older models. I also agree that if money is not a factor, and that if a person is not interested in doing their own mechanical work, that a newer model is better.

I, however, love my older model YJ. For one thing there is way less electrical crap in it. I can fix it myself and save mega dollars in labour charges. It was also much cheaper to buy and has the older style role-bar, a plus in my book. I have also heard many people complain about the 258 engine and the BBD carb on these Jeeps. Many people think that the higher horsepower of the 4.0 is desirable. I would disagree. I think that the higher torque of the 4.2 is more desirable for offroading. It has also been my experience that the BBD problems can be easily overcome with some cheap modifications. You can also upgrade the 4.2 with a mopar fuel injection kit and equal the horsepower of the 4.0 while keeping your higher torque.

The only gripe I have is the problem I am having with my soft-top, http://www.bc4x4.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001022.html

Besides I think I will break stuff no matter what year YJ I have so I will just upgrade to non-peugeot parts when I do.

So I argue that a person should consider their budget, their mechanical interests, and the overall condition of the jeep in consideration before writing a pre-92 YJ off. There are some real nice one owner, pre 92 Yjs out there that are in way better shape that some of their post-92 counterparts.

Spalding

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 1987 has an AX-15 tranny and an upgraded t-case in it - so I dont have most of the problems.

Carb isn't THAT bad man... come on now.

Even though my 6cyl is in the shop right now I still love it to death.

------------------

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I thaught that 91+yj's had E.F.I and AX15 trans. Am I wrong.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 90 has the ax-15 and the old school rollbar... did I mention the reliable and never let me down 4.2, some say the 4.2 blows and as crappy as mine sounds and as rough as it runs it has always gotten me from "A" to "B" on steep hills it makes me worry if its gonna stall and what not but it does the job.

But for what your looking for I say go EFI.

Needless to say I still love my JEEP no matter whats wrong with it

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
I personally like the 45* roll bar over the 90*.

Fuel Injection is a huge plus... but if you find a great deal on a carbbed 6cyl, go for it. But dont make a carb your first choice.

------------------

·
Registered
167 Posts
The solution is to do as many on this list and bord have done, and is probably the only workable solution for jeeps <mb-tj>

first) and <no joking> most important get a frame in the best condition you can aford.

Second) get a body with no rust, body mounts and drivers floor primary areas.

Third) <toung now in cheek> find a 79 bronco or f150 remove and shorten axles < hp d44 and 9"> now install them under the springs where they belong, remove and install np205 and np435

fourth < toung still in cheek> find a late mustang or anything with a 350 if you don't have much $$ and don't mind oil leaks. install engine depending on donor truck you might need to adapt engine to trany <ford> or engine/trany to 205 <chevy> use fuel injection computer sys. from engine donor.

------------------
Pat "Mustang" Patterson
80 F250 open f/r 4.10:1 351M/?4spd/NP208 Mine
79 Bronco open f/Welded r 3.50:1 400M/C6/NP205 Wife's

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by pitter:
I thaught that 91+yj's had E.F.I and AX15 trans. Am I wrong.
If they have a 4.0L w/manual tranny, these it's an AX15. If it's a 2.5L w/manual tranny, then it's an AX5.

All YJs used AX5/AX15 manual trannies from 89.5 and up.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you buy a later model YJ and you prefer the old style roll bar like others have mentioned let me know and I'll give you some cash plus my old style roll bar. I want the rear shoulder belts for the kids seats.

Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well,
Dont know how everyone is taking care of their rigs, but have had my 89 Y for 4 years and NO problems, as for the carb...simple adjustments and some tips from other Jeepers, my carb works GREAT.
REGULAR maintenance and upkeep = no problems.
I do agree that EFI would be less work, but if you wheel it, learn to wrench it.

Cheers,
Ash...

------------------
89 YJ built tough, NOT pretty
02 Liberty
57 Chev pickup streetrod

1 - 20 of 22 Posts