BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 1981 toyota short box 4x4... Is there anything I can watch out for on this truck when buying? Is there any places that rust that are hiddin other than the floor boards? Thanks Greg!

------------------
to be old and wise, you first must be young and stupid

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yup, above the spring hangers for the rear leafs.
The frame will rust out there and the springs get pushed into the frame.
Eventually the frame break's in half!

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by dp (edited January 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
345 Posts
usually you can grab the frame in the middle and on the back side you will put your fingers through the back. my truck that is for sale has a mint frame with 0 rust on it

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey greg how did arpad's truck to up at shawnigan? I was supposed to go but the other Greg couldn't get a hold of me. Just look at his truck and you should have a pretty good idea of what to look for.

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Mrdiesel:
Hey greg how did arpad's truck to up at shawnigan? I was supposed to go but the other Greg couldn't get a hold of me. Just look at his truck and you should have a pretty good idea of what to look for.

It did okay! His tires are bit too bald though! When did greg crash? Do you have a wire feed welder?

------------------
to be old and wise, you first must be young and stupid

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by ZukiGreg:
I'm looking at an 1981 toyota short box 4x4... Is there anything I can watch out for on this truck when buying? Is there any places that rust that are hiddin other than the floor boards? Thanks Greg!
Dont forget to check the floors. When they rot real bad the cab mounts will push right through the floors.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
hit the frame with a hammer and screwdriver all over the back half don't miss a CM. especially where the frame curves down right behind the rear wheels along the bottem in the corner of the frame (1_) right where that gap is. Check for clutch slipping and grinding going into gears. Also check the compression and timing chain noise, check for bondo with a magnet too. Also check the pinnion for play my friend blew his this summer. if you can put it up an a hoist

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts