BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being my first post on this board, I might as well jump in over my head. I am swapping my bagged 3VZE ('88-gag!) out in favour of a roller 302. I'm just wondering what a good tranny would be to use with it. The one in the truck is the automatic. Will the auto work okay with the 302, given the fact that it is computer controlled? Thanks for any info.

Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
throw a NP435 in there.. Low first gear..

·
1,269 Posts
I was wondering about this a while ago, and cornjeeper and bushbuggy (who both run the NP435 in their Jeeps) convinced me that the 435 is definetly the way to go. Short, strong, and geared almost as low as an SM420.

Now the real question is, what are you going to do for a t-case? Keep us updated, I'm planning on doing this swap in a year or so and I'd like any pics/info you'd care to share.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pete, go with a sm465, the Np435 has a aluminium shift cover.. DOnt like that at all.. Sm465 is a nice pig..

·
1,269 Posts
We're talking about a Ford 302 here, am I missing something or do SM420 and 465's bolt up? I was under the impression they didn't, and I ain't putting any Chev stuff in my truck, it gives me a rash... :rolleyes: :D

I noticed on that link there (thanks Wil) that AA makes a T18 -> Toy tcase adapter, but does the T18 bolt up to a 302? :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've never seen anything that will mate a sm420 or a sm465 to a 302. I just noticed that you mentioned keeping your toy t-case and thought that you might want to go chevy to do it. Didn't mean to give you a rash... so I'm just gonna shut up now.

·
1,269 Posts
Don't worry about it dude :D I thought about a 4.3 for a while but I'm a Ford guy at heart. :mullet

So back on topic to DavyJones's question, is the t-case on the auto tranny a passenger side drop?

And does anyone know if a T18 will bolt up to a 302? :*******

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
SM465 is a great tranny for a Chev but I highly doubt that you will have problems with the NP435 with a 302 swap. T18 is a Ford tranny also so no problem there with mating to a 302.

·
Registered
504 Posts
how bout the zf diesel? any adapters for that?low gears and overdrive

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, thanks for the help, guys. I just found out the Toy slush box that's in the truck now is hooped.:( That's just as well. Now I have an excuse to put in a stick...:D As far as the t-case and diff goes, I might end up going with some kind of SAS deal with the diff housing on the driver's side. That way I can use a Ford tranny/t-case combo withoput too much trouble. Why go with *hevy stuff?? That's too easy, everyone does that. I like the distributor in the front anyway. I'll have pics, later though. I'd rather spend the ca$h on 4X4 stuff:******* instead of a camera!!! How's this for a combo: 302/700R4/Toy t-case (gear)?:confused2
I haven't done much research on adapters yet as I'm still not 100 percent certain on which tranny to go with.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Isn't the 700R4 a chev tranny?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts