BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, nice board and site.

I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 in the future, I'm starting to do some research now. A couple of summers ago I had an '86 Nissan 4x4 PU, nothing fancy, all stock. I didn't do anything hardcore with it, though I did make it up this rock-crawl section between Stave and Alouette lake that most other stock 4x4's couldn't do, it got me to some great views of both lakes, and that's how I got the 4x4'ing bug.

Anyways, I know I won't have a huge budget for off-roading, so I will be looking for the most reliable vehicle available. So which 4x4 (that I could buy for $5,000 to $10,000) do you think is most reliable? How reliable are the old Toyota Land Cruisers?
And if you were able to do some major modifications and replacements to your vehicle (engine, tranny, suspension, anything) and you were looking for reliability, which parts would you buy?

[This message has been edited by Woke Up Dead (edited March 24, 2002).]

·
Registered
237 Posts
My biased opinion is a Jeep, but if you arent into jeeps an older 22re solid axle toyota

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 33X12.5 tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
20 Posts
81-87 chev 4x4. Easy to modify probly the cheapest truck for parts. Just my opinion

------------------
81 chev 3/4 ton 4x4, 33" bfg muds, lots of lights, no rust

·
Registered
453 Posts
my 81 toyota with the 22r was the best 4x4 i've ever owned, but it was a helluva lot more expensive to fix and harder to find parts for than my current 85 full size blazer which will become a far better truck than the toyota i owned in about a month or two and it will be worth about $1500 less when they hit the same stage of progress.

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
282 Posts
if you are going to modify your vehicle stay away from IFS(like Nissans). Other than that I don't think you could go wrong w/the solid axle Toyotas,CJ or YJ, or older Chevy's as mentioned. Good luck.

------------------
97 ram 1500 swb.3" w/35"mt. 4.56 w/rear detroit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts